1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Big enough to play bars and stuff?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Admiral Axtell, Apr 21, 2010.

1. http://www.guitarcenter.com/Acoustic-B100-100W-1x15-Bass-Combo-104813779-i1399998.gc

Is my acoustic B100 Amp loud enough to play like small shows with guitar and drums and still be heard? I play with a drummer right now but I have to crank it up pretty loud and I have to have the right setting or the light goes on signalling hey stop playing so loud or your **** is gonna blow out. Should I invest in a stack when I start playing bars and clubs and stuff? or do they usually do a PA system or what?

2. uhdinator

uhdinator

Apr 20, 2010
    Maine
    depends on how loud everyone else is that you are playing with. What is the pre amp level and master level set at?

3. RickenBoogie

RickenBoogie

Jul 22, 2007
    Dallas, TX
    Yeah, it all depends. but I know it wouldn't be enough amp for me, let alone, the single 15" spkr.

4. Bass Junkie

Bass Junkie

Nov 3, 2009
    Florida
    If you had B200 you'd be better off. I doubt a B100 is going to cut it unless you're in a small bar.

5. COBRARI

COBRARI

Apr 16, 2010
    Sacramento
    I posted earlier today with another thread but here is my suggestion after learning the hard way.
    The typical bar/restaurant gig will require at least a 120 watt
    combo with a 15' speaker.
    You got to get through the mix and you have to fill the room up with some bottom. Good luck.

6. Good luck? haha I didn't realise it would be so hard, um and I don't know all that much about amps and settings so I'm not sure what you guys are asking sorry If I sound like a dumbass but I am when it comes to amps.:crying: Okay though, that's still probably a ways off so I will have time to get a big one by then, would you guys just recommend saving for a stack if I get serious just so I can play bigger venues if I start getting good and go a little bigger than a bar? or a big bar? and if so, what are some stacks under $1000 that people would recommend, just for future reference. Thanks for your help guys.

7. Bass Junkie

Bass Junkie

Nov 3, 2009
    Florida
    Do you like the sound of your Acoustic? If you do just get the B200H and the matching 1x15" cab for now. The Acoustic amps are a great value at any level. If you need more than the 1x15" you can add the 410 cab later. Here's a link and be sure to read the reviews:

http://bass-guitars.musiciansfriend...nd-B115-250W-1x15-Bass-Cab-Package?sku=483494

http://bass-guitars.musiciansfriend...nd-B410-Bass-Speaker-Cabinet-Stack?sku=484900

Keep your B100 for practice and rehearsals.

8. becker4567

becker4567

Jul 26, 2008
    Perfect! Either one of these could suit your needs for many years, and for alot less then $1000!

9. Bass Junkie

Bass Junkie

Nov 3, 2009
    Florida
  10. uhdinator

uhdinator

Apr 20, 2010
    Maine
    yes I have played the B200H and if going with one cab for now you can add another later. Easier to transport 2 smaller cabs than one huge 810 cab.

I worked at guitar center when they first got these in and was skeptical and tried them out. I was blown away at the power and sound all together especially at that price.
    Even tried the head plugged into an 810 ampeg cab and was surprised it had the meat to power it.

I tried it and think it sounds best with the 410 cab if you are using one cab.
    Then add the 115 on later. Does sound best with both as you get the most power out of it that way.

Also a benefit is Guiter Center owns this brand. IF it dies during wtty period there is no vendor for wtty repair but thats good. If it is under Wtty which i think is like 3 or 5 yrs your just take it back to GC and they will replace it in store! no wtty repair issues!

11. nice thank you very much! I have that bookmarked and I will definitely check it out when I get to that level which hopefully should be in the near future, thanks again for all the advice guys! :D

12. waleross

waleross

Nov 27, 2009
    South Florida
    Many years ago I played an acoustic150, I survived since the band was semi acoustic with steel drums and flute etc. IMO if you have work lined up in the near future then you should make the necessary investment. If you havn't already done this then go to a bar with a live band and see what the bass player is using.

13. snappytom

snappytom

Aug 17, 2005
    ChicagoLand
    I use a B100 at our band practice space. It is plenty loud in that room which is a 2nd floor of a small frame house. I would not want to gig a crowded bar with it, especially if it is sitting on a concrete floor. It simply would not have the power to drive a full bass sound and rumble without farting out. Not having any headroom left in an amp is a situation I try to avoid.

14. I'll say it again, 300 watts rms thru at least a 2x10 is what I'd play thru at a minimum.

15. FromTheBassMent

FromTheBassMent Those who can, play bass. Supporting Member

Jan 19, 2010
    Providence, RI
    I play a lot of local gigs, and my band's lineup is acoustic guitar, a guy who switches between acoustic guitar, electric guitar and mandolin, a guy who plays a Zendrum (over-the-shoulder drum kit with a volume control... praise the Lord!), and me. We are not a loud band, as our focus is on our vocal harmonies.

I play a 300 watt Markbass combo for our small venue gigs, and add an 8-ohm cabinet when we're in bigger rooms, giving me 500 watts. I cannot imagine playing a gig in anything other than a small coffee house with less than 300 watts. Sure, you can push a 100 watt amp to its limits and pray it doesn't start farting out on you, but what gives you confidence in these situations is HEADROOM. Especially with a solid state amp, the last thing you want to be doing is pushing its upper limits and find out you don't have enough volume, because then when you goose it a little more you end up clipping, and then it's all over... you're gonna sound like a wet Godzilla fart.

After 30+ years of playing out, I cannot overemphasize the need to have more power than you think you need. If you can fill the room you're playing (and be heard at an even level with everyone else) with your amp running 40-50% of its capacity, you are golden.

Just a little advice from an old fart who doesn't like his amp to sound like a fart.

:D

16. will33

will33

May 22, 2006
    austin,tx
    Take it from someone who's played plenty of small bars where your smallish/medium size bass rig is what your audience is hearing.

If you want to go the combo route, you have to get the highest power rated combo from whatever company. Anything less won't do it....it may "get the job done" but will be straining and working at its limits and not sound as good as it could. Yorkville either makes or used to make a nice one.

You want a 15" speaker with decent excursion (can take some power applied to it before it starts to distort and make "farty" noises) and something that has close to 200 watts at 8ohms , that means looking at stuff that is rated 300-400 watts as that's usually a 4ohm rating.

This can be had fairly easy and pretty cheap nowdays as a separate amp and cabinet, in a combo though, you have to get the biggest one. That usually means something that is cumbersome or hard to fit in some vehicles as it is and all-in-one bigger/heavier box. That's down to whatever you think is easy to get around with and sounds good.

The best sounding 115 combo I've heard in a long time was a Yorkville Ysomething 200 or 400 watt rated bass 115 combo. Nice tone, responsive to eq and powerful enough/loud enough to handle bar gigs like that, not all that heavy either and about as big as a 212 bass cab, could slide in the backseat of a smallish car if you laid it on its back.

17. FromTheBassMent

FromTheBassMent Those who can, play bass. Supporting Member

Jan 19, 2010
    Providence, RI
    The Markbass Jeff Berlin Signature combo is 300/500 into a single 15", weighs 45 lbs and will fit on the front passenger seat of your Smart Car. Oh yeah, and it sounds brilliant. Add an 8 ohm 1x15 extension cabinet and you could blow the windows out of your average pub.

18. If you're looking for a rig under a thousand dollars, you should also be looking in the used market. You can get some really good deals on equipment that's more towards the professional range and still stay under the $1000 mark.

19. guroove

guroove

Oct 13, 2009
    Buffalo, NY
    The new acoustic amps are a great value, but sound like dick, in my opinion. Don't get me wrong, though. I own two of them, mostly because I am too poor to afford much better, and I don't care to obsess over tone anymore. Also, I have an ampeg b-25 for those gigs where tone is more important than portability.

20. kraigo

kraigo

Jun 21, 2007
    Minneapolis, MN
    FWIW, I think bassists have the worst financial barrier to entry of any instrument. You can get a set of drums (might not sound great, but passable) for less and a guitar/guitar amp (might not sound great, but passable) for less, but getting a bass and bass amp that can keep up with the cheap drums and cheap guitar rig will cost you a lot more. Things only start to even out when you get into the higher end semi-pro market.

KO