1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Big enough to rock? Entry level gigging amp...

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by SirCanealot, Oct 19, 2006.

1. Sup, all.

I've been playing for about a year and I'm considering joining some sort of cover band next year to get some experience playing live gigs, and see if it's something I enjoy and want to do.

I have a Yamaha RBX374 which I'm fairly happy with, but my amp is only an Orange Crush B35 (35 watt solid state). While I really love the sound for practicing at medium to low volumes, I can't even push this thing to its max, as it starts rattling badly.

I want to start thinking about an amp decent enough to start gigging with. Probably not looking to buy till next year, but I'm starting a job soon, and dreaming is fun :p

I'm thinking about trying out the high-end Orange cab/head, but it's way expensive.

I'm also thinking I want some sort of decent EQ on my next amp (3 band with one mid freq knob kinda feels limiting).

So can anyone suggest something for me to start looking at?
    Am probably looking to spend in the region of up to £400, maybe £500. Or maybe less. I'm really not sure, and I need some advice...

Thanks a lot :)

2. markjazzbassist

markjazzbassist Supporting Member

Apr 19, 2005
    Lakewood, OH
    for that much you have many options. are you looking for a combo or head/cab? if you are gigging i would suggest 300 watts or more. ALSO, if you buy used you can get A LOT MORE for your money.

combos

Fender 400 Pro Combo
    Nemesis NC212 or 410 combo
    SWR WorkingPro 2x10
    Trace Eliot 1x15 Combo

Head/Cab

Used Head (Peavey Firebass, GK RB700, SWR 550x)
    Avatar Cabs (check their website)
    or used cabs

3. Anything from 350watts to 600watts will work nice. I m suggesting starting with a 2x10 cab only... and if you find anything on the way, maybe a 1x15,1x12 or another 2x10, you should connect that too to see if you like this kind of sound, so you ll know what cab you ll need next.

4. I got my first proper amp and cab for £500, look on ebay

What i got was a Peavey Firebass 700 and Peavey 410TFX, its 475 watts into the 4ohm speaker cab, and it was plenty loud!

Ive just down sized to a peavey 210 TX (cost £100 on ebay)

One of those 2x10 cabs and a peavey, trace elliot, hartke, lower end ampeg etc etc heads would all work well IMO

Id look for at least 300 watts into whatever impedance 210 you get, but i must say, the peavey 210 TX is an amazingly good wee cab! Running that with my Firebass into a Peavey 2x15 i have is awesome (the 2x15 only cost £75!)

Basically, watch ebay!

5. Ostinato

Ostinato Guest

Feb 7, 2005
    Toronto ON
    You will not be satisfied with a 210 for gigs. And even if you are, it'll disappear in a club with no PA support. At least a 410, 210/115 stack 210/410 stack will work good...don't short change yourself, go big and you'll always hear yourself and so will your bandmates and the audience.

6. You would be surprised how far a good 2x10 can go

And remember, a 2x10 is only 3dB quieter than the equivilent 4x10 (everything else being equal)

The biggest pro with more speakers is getting them closer to ear level.

Not that long ago i played a medium/large hall with my SVT+sealed 810, the volume didnt shift past 2 on the svt, the pro i had there was huge headroom, but with a 2x10 you'd just need to turn up a bit more!

And if using a 2x10, it makes a big difference, IMO if you put it on its side, that way it brings it closer to ear level and there isnt that much of a noticable volume drop compared to a 4x10

7. IvanMike

IvanMike TTRPG enthusiast, Happy, Joyous, & Free. Supporting Member

Nov 10, 2002
    Middletown CT, USA
    there are actually some good threads linked in the faq sticky at the top of amps regarding this.

although i have chimed in (perhaps way too much) in the aformentioned threads, i'll give you 2 cents here. Overall i think used can be a great way to go. I also would suggest getting something you can add on to later. A head with one cab woudl be a good start as long as the impedance of the cab and the minimum impedance of the head allows you to add on in the future. (see the sticky if i lost you there). Some combos allow you to add on an extension speaker as well. For gigs, it all depends on the type of music and venues, but FWIW, life starts at 100 watts, and you need to double your wattage every time you want to get noticeably (3 dB) louder. IME, 200 watts and a 1x15 or 2x10 can cover a lot of gigs, but not all.

8. its all in how much you want to spend, hartke makes some great entry level stuff. SWR workingman series is also good, just look around and try out different things

9. Jiggybass

Jiggybass

Nov 15, 2005
    Sudbury, Canada
    Not true, I just played a gig with my 210, and pushing 200 watts into it. This was in an open area, with no walls, except the one behind me, at my school. A good hunfred or so were there up close, and a few others just hangin' around the lot. I had the below half volume, and I could hear myself very nicely, as could the rest of my band, and the audience, even around 150 feet from where my amp was situated.

A decent 210 can really rock the house. Plus it's easier to carry. I have played many gig's with my 210, and I have never pushed the amp past half, and have never had PA support.

A 200-500 watt head, and 210, or even 212 cab will show up on ebay, or the Talkbass sales. You will get much more amp for the money that way. Enjoy!

- Felix

10. thebassist1234

thebassist1234

Feb 12, 2006
    Ashdown for sure. Really does get that Orange-ish british tone pretty easily and a 4x10+300 watt head in the Mag series is about $600 american.

11. Had a little look around today... Not in any rush right now, so I'll probably be bumping this topic a few times ^^

Specifically I had a look at some Ashdown amps, since I love the tone of my Orange right now, and I'd like to keep something like it.

Can anyone else comment on Ashdown amps? And would I really want a head/cab? Getting a combo would make things simpler, and the combos seem similar to the head/cabs.

I was thinking something like http://www.soundslive.co.uk/product~name~Ashdown-Mag-C210-T-300~ID~3071.asp looked quite interesting. Around £300 doesn't break the bank, and the random reviews on harmonycentral seem to think the Mag line are pretty good.
    Edit: And some of them suggest the combos can be extended with an additional cab...?

I seriously doubt I'll be playing any large gigs for a looooong time...