1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to post, make friends, earn reward points at our store, remove most ads and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Big, fat replacement necks

Discussion in 'Hardware, Setup & Repair [BG]' started by BBQV, Dec 10, 2012.

1. BBQV

BBQV

Feb 13, 2010
    Uppsala, Sweden
    I've been searching for a chunky replacement neck for my Fender Classic 50's Precision, but they all seem to fall short of my preferences. I like wide and fat necks, Fender Telecaster Bass and Yamaha Attitude are right up my alley neckwise. Does anybody build this kind of baseball bat necks?

2. BBQV

BBQV

Feb 13, 2010
    Uppsala, Sweden
    Four years later: Nowadays I usually buy Allparts onepiece maple necks, they're "big enough", but I'm still looking for a real monster!
    When I build my own necks I make them like a late 60's Telecaster Bass, massive.
    Is there a manufacturer who builds necks 1 3/4" wide at the nut and about 1" thick?

3. mongo2

mongo2

Feb 17, 2008
    Da Shaw
    Sorry, I don't know any manufacturers in Europe, but in the USA we have places like Warmoth, USA Custom Guitars, and Guitar Mill.

4. tzohn

tzohn

Apr 26, 2015
    I'm having the same problem and I was thinking to buy a 5 string bass just to have that big neck. Specifically I'm thinking of getting the Squier Vintage Mod. V and convert it to 4 strings
    by making my own nut and string-tree... But then there will be a spare peg hole in the headstock, not so good looking. (the whole bass costs the same as an aftermarket neck).

5. BBQV

BBQV

Feb 13, 2010
    Uppsala, Sweden
    I've been looking at their necks but they're all to skinny...
    Do they make custom size necks? As far as I understand, with Warmoth you can change pretty much everything except the neck profile.

6. Gorn

Gorn Supporting Member

Dec 15, 2011
    Queens, NY
    Well, you can and do build your own necks? So why not build one how you want?

7. BBQV

BBQV

Feb 13, 2010
    Uppsala, Sweden
    But it's so boring! :)
    I rather just buy it straight off the shelf, but exactly the way I want it!

Last edited: Dec 9, 2016
  8. mongo2

mongo2

Feb 17, 2008
    Da Shaw
    IIRC, Guitar Mill and USA Guitars do. I recommend calling them and Warmoth to make sure.

9. BBQV

BBQV

Feb 13, 2010
    Uppsala, Sweden
    Great, thanks!

10. Bruce Johnson

Bruce Johnson Supporting Member Commercial User

Feb 4, 2011
    Fillmore, CA
    Professional Luthier
    There are a few of us small custom neck builders here in the US too. My buddy Keith Horne and I build one-off custom necks to any dimensions or style of construction that you want. We're not cheap, but not that expensive either. An oversize Fender-style neck will be about US$400 in bare wood.

11. sissy kathy

sissy kathy Back to Bass-ics Gold Supporting Member

Apr 21, 2014
    Halethorpe, MD
    Warmoth makes a neck profile called a fatback (1 inch [25.4 mm]) at the first fret, and you can also order a wider nut. Neither are standard options for a J or P bass but a telephone call will get you a special order 01 (253) 845-0403.
    Warmoth Custom Guitar Parts - Bass Nut Width

12. BBQV

BBQV

Feb 13, 2010
    Uppsala, Sweden
    Fabulous! Thanks for your responses!