Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Big fat strings. Can my bass handle it?

Discussion in 'Hardware, Setup & Repair [BG]' started by Trevorus, Apr 30, 2005.

1. Trevorus

Trevorus

Oct 18, 2002
    Urbana, IL
    Well, I have a Conklin GT-4 bass, and I strung it up with some thick GHS strings. 50-115 Heavy strings. Now, I have it adjusted and all, and I just want to know if the neck can handle the extra tension. What do you think?

2. Brendan

Brendan

Jun 18, 2000
    Austin, TX
    Handle the lesser tension. The bigger the string, the less tension is required to bring it in tune.

3. Trevorus

Trevorus

Oct 18, 2002
    Urbana, IL
    Ahh, I think you have it bass ackwards. :D The evidence being that the neck bowed more with the bigger strings.

4. Yes yes, bass ackwards indeed.

5. LajoieT

LajoieT I won't let your shadow be my shade...

Oct 7, 2003
    Western Massachusetts
    Yea, the fatter strings will be tighter if you are keeping the same (EADG) tuning with them. No personal experience, but everything I've heard about the GT's is they are very stable and should have no problem with the extra tension. You may need some setup adjustments tho.

6. Brendan

Brendan

Jun 18, 2000
    Austin, TX
    D'oh. Right. I'm so used to the detuning thing, I glazed over the tuning to standard thing. I saw ".115" and "big strings" and thought "He's detuning," not, "He's tuning to standard with big ol' strings." If you were tuning to like, C or something with a .115, then yeah, less overall neck tension, but to E on a .115, then yes, more tension.

I wouldn't think your neck would have any problems with it, though, it's not a drastic increase in tension.

See what happens when you don't think things through?

7. Trevorus

Trevorus

Oct 18, 2002
    Urbana, IL
    Yeah, t'sall good. That will be my downtune bass if the need arises, but mainly I just wanted a lot more lows on it overall, and it performed perfectly. I didn't even use my sansamp today.

8. Kelly Lee

Kelly Lee Yeah, I'm a guy! Supporting Member

Feb 17, 2004
    Marana, AZ, USA
    I have run .60-.120 in EADG (five string set) with no problems other than standard setup adjustments. I had one bass strung that way for almost two years and with no damage to the neck. This was on my Innovator and it has a very thin neck.

9. Trevorus

Trevorus

Oct 18, 2002
    Urbana, IL
    Well, that's cool. I was wondering about the thin neck. My Conklin has a thinnish neck, but it's made of wenge/purpleheart, so I guess it would be plenty strong...