Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Big fiddle?

Discussion in 'Bass Humor [DB]' started by Mike Crumpton, Nov 3, 2003.

1. I noticed some TBers being fed up with the usual comments on the lines of that's a big fiddle, guitar, whatever so I thought I'd pass on this:

Don Weller's bass player walked by and a wag calls out "how do you get that under your chin then?" to whcih our sax playing hero replies "he keeps his mouth shut".

ps Don is famous in the UK at least and desrerves to be known everywhere but c'est la vie.

2. this makes me happy. :)

3. anonymous0726

anonymous0726 Guest

Nov 4, 2001
    Living in NYC teaches one the beauty of succinctity (a word?).

When asked if I'd rather play flute (or harmonica or whatever), I find a deadpan stare and a monotonal 'no' followed by a pregnant, unblinking pause does wonders. If you're feeling too midwestern to really pull it off properly, then follow it up with a warm smile. If you want to go all out, an acidic smile will send them packing. I only use this on real butt-heads, though. I generally just smile, nod, and wheel on.

Another and more subtle one that I use in response to, "That's a helluva guitar, buddy...", is, "Yeah, it would be, wuddn't it?"

4. Ray, ah bleeve succinct gets a 'ness' rather than an 'ity' to convert it to a noun. Some adjectives, like fecund, scream for 'ity', while others, like arid, go both ways; not so with succinct. Sorry I took so long.

5. Nuno A.

Nuno A. Velvet Strings Customer Service

Jul 9, 2001
    SWITZERLAND
    I love Talkbass, and i even have english lessons...