Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Big Five!!!

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Licketysplit, Oct 20, 2000.

1. Licketysplit

Licketysplit

Mar 15, 2000
    After receiving many helpful and inciteful replies on my post regarding fives and sixes, I have chosen to go with the fives :) <long applause, room quiets down after awhile>

But, I don't know which to get. Now before you decide to look at some other thread, don't. (Please?) Yes I know there are plenty of threads on various 5-strings, but I have specific questions on specific brands. So please, when you answer/reply (if you do) only answer the questions for the basses I have chosen, please don't add anymore to my frustrated mind :)!!!

Okay, first is the Fender Deluxe Active Jazz Bass. How's the B string on these in general? Is it floppy and loose, or nice and tight? Also, is this one a backbreaker? How is the string spacing? (keep in mind these questions are as compared with other brands) And lastly, how easy is it to tap and slap on one of these beasts?

Next, the Yamaha RBX765A fiver. Same questions on all of these. How's the spacing, how's the B (probably the most important thing to me), How's the tone, etc.

And of course the Steinberger (I think that's how to spell it...) I'm not sure of the product # but its the one on MusicYo for $250. It has the squarish body. Is this a "weird" bass to play? And same questions as the above.

Now for the rest of my choices, A custom Carvin, Spector NS2000 Q4, and an Ibanez SR405. Please tell me which of these you would choose and why!!!!!!!!!! Also, this is my first five so I don't want to buy a really cheap one or one that's way over my budget (over600$, I'm only 14). Thanks for any help at all in advance!!!

One last note, the Fender is currently at the top of my list, but just by a little!!! Oh, and any thoughts on the wonderful world of fives (bad and good) are very, very welcome!!!!

2. Munjibunga

Munjibunga Total Hyper-Elite Member Gold Supporting Member

May 6, 2000
    San Diego (when not at Groom Lake)
    Independent Contractor to Bass San Diego
    First, congratulations on your wise decision. Six-string basses are more trouble than they're worth. They have no place in the music scene. Their manufacture, sale and use should be felonies. Second, I'd go with the Fender AMERICAN Deluxe Jazz V. You won't be sorry. Or, of course, there's always the revered Fender Roscoe Beck V, a jazz bass on steroids. But don't buy it if you don't like wide string spacing.

3. john turner

john turner You don't want to do that. Trust me. Staff Member Administrator

Mar 14, 2000
    atlanta ga
    6 stringer fishing? :rolleyes:

4. embellisher

embellisher Holy Ghost filled Bass Player Staff Member Supporting Member

Of the basses you have listed, the Yamaha has the best B string, the Fender has the best tone(but the B string is floppy) and the Carvin is the best built.

Tone of the Carvin is similar to the Yamaha, kinda 'generic'. The B is somewhere between the Yamaha and the Fender.

The other basses that you mentioned are not in the same class as these 3.

The Ibanez has a decent B, about like the Carvin, but the sound is kind of uneven.

The Spector is OK tonewise and B string wise.

I've not played the particular Steinberger you mention so I can't comment, except to say you get what you pay for.

I would play as many of these as you can and then once you narrow it down, play several examples of the finalists, and YOU make the decision. Of course, playing the Carvin and the Steinberger beforehand will be difficult, unless you find a used one, have a friend with one or pay the shipping and buy one on a trial.

5. i'd say go for the fender. great slap tone. it is a little heavy, but u'll get acustomed to it. string spacing is nice. overall a good bass. but i have also heard good things about that yamaha.

peace

6. cassanova

cassanova

Sep 4, 2000
    Florida
    The Fender's B string is a little bit on the loose side, but I have raised the action on it a little bit and found it be be slightly tighter, The string spacing is approx. 1/2 inch. The bass isnt exactly a back breaker either, but it's definatly heavier than the Ibanez. The tone of the Fender is also much better than that of the Ibanez. It is much deeper, and has much better mids and highs.
    In my opinion it has better construction. Mine took a fall from the stand right on the cement, and she still stayed in tune without so much as a scratch on her. (I'll admit that luck had a bit to due with that too, but I just know the same fall to my Ibanez wouldve snapped the neck and/or headstock.)
    The necks on the Ibanez Sr series bass is definatly much slimmer than that of the Fender's, (front to back and side to side) But with practice you will adjust to the Fender's neck in no time at all. I also think that slap and pop tones are much better on the Fender than the Ibanez and overall the Fender is a much more versatile bass guitar.
    In my opinion you get more bang for your buck with the Fender. I havent really played the Yamaha's enough to really give an in depth opinion, They as well as the Spector's are'nt all that bad but I think the Fender's are better. Thats why I bought one. Good luck in whatever brand you decide to purchase.

7. Bernie

Bernie

Dec 12, 1999
    Ive only tried 2 5's.The RB and the Adlx.My vote is the RB all the way.GREAT tones and the B strings a bit tighter.Good luck!

8. Christopher

Christopher

Apr 28, 2000
    New York, NY
    For your budget, I'd recommend the Yamaha RBX765. The workmanship on these is superior to that of the other brands you've mentioned. While the tone is somewhat generic, it's very clean (no J-pickup noise) and the B string is tight. The instrument is also light and very well balanced. Finally, the resale value of the RBX765 at present is surprisingly high.

9. Munjibunga

May 6, 2000
    The bait is out there. I'm surprised I got a bite on the Ibanez thing, and barely a nibble on this.

10. embellisher

embellisher Holy Ghost filled Bass Player Staff Member Supporting Member

Munji, that's because all REAL bass players know that a 5 is a bass but anything more is for those guitarist wannabes!

;):D;)

11. Munjibunga

May 6, 2000
    AAhhhhh ... cool water for one awaiting flames.