1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Big Game Pedals

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by gregmon79, May 7, 2015.

1. gregmon79

gregmon79 I did it for the muff... Supporting Member

Dec 20, 2012
    Chicago IL
    Hey all. So some of you know about Big Game Pedals from me pretty much gushing over them in the Breeders thread. But for those of you who dont get over there, I wanted to give Ryan some exposure. Ive been in contact with Ryan for maybe 6 months or so. I think I asked him to make me a double OD (sort of an OCD clone) clone back when I first started to talking to him. He was all about it. It seemed like he had been at this for a while now. I was really surprised to find out he was only 18!!

Anyway, I finally got a hold of one if his muff fuzzes. He officially calls it the Everything is Alive Nothing is Dead Fuzz (EAND). Its basically a muff based off the old SOVTEK Green muff from what I understand. Ive had one for maybe 2 weeks and I love it!!! He is now making them with older NOS KD521A diodes so they are more authentic. I have one without them, but I am putting an order in for one tomorrow. He does mods like diode selection, oscillation, 2nd sustain..... Its pretty cool IMO. And better yet, he doesnt charge an arm and a leg for the basic fuzz or the mods. And he can do other mods by special request and is thinking of other mods he can offer. He also can do just about any etch job you want so you can get a custom box.

So far Im very impressed with his work. The muff is amazing in the mix. And the last year Ive tried quite a few of the more popular muffs. This one cuts straight through the mix. He has the mids pot stock in his muff for $115. How can you beat that!? Ive been lucky enough to have him ask me to beta test his new OD circuit hes been working on! Now, the Fulltone OCD has been my main OD for over two years. And Ive probably had over 20 ODs on my board over the last couple years and I always go back to the Fulltone. And Big Games OD will most likely end up kicking the OCD right off my board! Its just about perfect. The low end retention is THE S**T! No clean blend needed. It actually adds lows! And its tasty tasty tasty. I just sent it back to him to add and change some things to see how it sounds. I look forward to getting it back onboard.

He also has plans to get more pedals on his site I do believe. I know he has built a RAT and a boost too in past so I would imagine he will offer it eventually. So go check out his site! Better yet, check out one of his muffs, I seriously doubt youll be disappointed. For the price, its worth a shot! Ill try to get some demos up of the muff and OD. In fact, I think I have some already. Ill post them below if I do.

Home / Big Game Pedals

Last edited: Jun 10, 2015
    Roberto Nunez, hintz and SirMjac28 like this.
  2. gregmon79

Dec 20, 2012
    Chicago IL
    These are just rough demos. I didnt really go through settings. Just a little taste with my P bass. Ill get some more up this weekend with some more settings fiddling.

= this is the muff

= this is the OD. I was switching back and forth between the Fulltone and BG OD in the beginning. I kept the BG OD on for most of the middle to the end and messed with settings.

3. vlsndgrdn

vlsndgrdn

Oct 21, 2013
    Chile
    You sell me one greg.

Muff: tone bypass, diodes and gate.

4. bassmusic17

bassmusic17

Jan 15, 2011
    Very awesome that you did this! Great dude and I see a bright future ahead of him.

So far I haven't tried any of his original designs but the clones I have of his are top notch sound wise and damn good build quality too which seems to be steadily improving.

If you are getting the OCD beta test. I should get involved in making the ultimate Rat pedal. ;) Sounds like he already got the Muff fuzz down. Can't wait to try that one out. I love me some fuzz. :)

gregmon79 likes this.
  5. gregmon79

Dec 20, 2012
    Chicago IL
    Whaaaa?!? Haha. I sold you you mean??

But yes, Ryan can do that for you man.

vlsndgrdn likes this.
  6. gregmon79

Dec 20, 2012
    Chicago IL
    I agree with all that. I'm very happy with what I've tried so far. and I plan on getting most of what he builds hAha I'll have a big game board!

7. vlsndgrdn

vlsndgrdn

Oct 21, 2013
    Chile
    Yes you sold me one :thumbsup: (i need to practice my english)

gregmon79 likes this.
  8. gregmon79

Dec 20, 2012
    Chicago IL
    Big Game muff with NOS KD521A diodes ordered!! Stoked! :hyper:

bassmusic17 likes this.
  9. gregmon79

Dec 20, 2012
    Chicago IL
    bassmusic17 likes this.
  10. nshuman

nshuman Supporting Member

Sep 4, 2012
    Montreal, Qc, Canada
    ccp
  11. gregmon79

Dec 20, 2012
    Chicago IL
    It is.

12. gregmon79

Dec 20, 2012
    Chicago IL
    Here's an ok recording. It'll give you an idea what this pedal can do. P bass out of my GK1001rb into a fender bassman 410. I just fiddled with settings while the riff looped. I played without preamps until the last couple of minutes. Then I turned on the rusty box. I left my B7K off for this one.

13. DrewM85

DrewM85

Jan 2, 2012
    DE
    Ordered a custom 3 switch EAND:

Gate, 2nd sustain (footswitch), tone bypass (footswitch), diode selector.

bassmusic17, gregmon79 and DirtyDuke like this.
  14. nshuman

nshuman Supporting Member

Sep 4, 2012
    Montreal, Qc, Canada
    ccp
    I would really like to hear sound samples of the gate when you get it.

15. DrewM85

DrewM85

Jan 2, 2012
    DE
    I plan on it!

gregmon79 likes this.
  16. gregmon79

Dec 20, 2012
    Chicago IL
    Yeah buddy! I really think you gonna dig it. Good score.

17. twistd

twistd Supporting Member

Feb 2, 2009
    Sold my pristine MM Sire to pay off some bills and instead ordered the muff fuzz and screamer from Ryan. Can't wait to get them!

DrewM85 and gregmon79 like this.
  18. gregmon79

Dec 20, 2012
    Chicago IL
    Awesome!! I'd really like to hear about that screamer when you get it. I wanted to order one myself but I had ordered a couple other things already from him haha. The muff I have is killer right. I think the new one with the older diodes will be done soon. Way stoked for that! OD should be coming with it :)

Let us know your thoughts on the muff and screamer when you can please.

19. twistd

twistd Supporting Member

Feb 2, 2009
    i think the muff is at least a week or two out, and the screamer after that. Already have a spot cleared for them. Must be patient. Will post pics and clips.

gregmon79 likes this.
  20. DrewM85

DrewM85

Jan 2, 2012
    DE
    Still waiting on my slap shot EAND. Man it's going to be great when I get it. I'm actually building a larger board so I'll have room for it.

gregmon79 likes this.