1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Big(ger) rig with Mesa Walkabout

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Transverz, Jul 30, 2007.

1. Transverz

Transverz believer of the Low End Theory

May 3, 2004
    Los Angeles, CA
    Wow...long time no post! Good to be back.

Anyway, I'm considering picking up a Mesa Walkabout amp. What I'm wondering is if:

a) The Walkabout could get "loud" with my 2x10 + 1x15?

and

b) The Walkabout could get "loud" with my Powerhouse 1000 (4x10 + 1x15)?

*note - when I say "loud", I mean rock & roll, over a loud drummer and 50 watt tube Marshalls loud like I usually can get with my 850 watt QSC amp + Ampeg preamp.

Now 300 watts on paper doesn't sound like much. But I've been reading a bit differently on here with everyone's experiences with the Walkabout. Plus, I recently went to a show where this bass player was using an Ampeg B2R like I used to have and never thought it was very loud, but hooked up to her Ampeg 8x10, it was massive sounding!

So I'm wondering if more speakers in that 8x10 were able to take that B2R to the volume my old 4x10 couldn't. And hence, my question to anyone who has ever hooked up a big cab to the Walkabout.

Eh? :eyebrow:

2. 62bass

62bass

Apr 3, 2005
    Through an efficient speaker cabinet the Walkabout can get pretty loud. I've used it with a couple 4x10 enclosures, a 1x15 and a 3 way with 15, 10 and a horn. All these were 8 ohm cabinets. I also used it with the 12 Scout cabinet and a 1x15 resulting in a 2.67 ohm load and that worked great. It should drive your Mesa cabinets to very loud levels. It won't get as loud as your big QSC of course but it's always been loud enough for what I do. It's more about the quality of sound for me than volume or headroom. There's nothing else like it for what it does. But, if you really need all that power you have now, then the Walkabout probably won't suit you.

3. GregC

GregC Johnny and Joe Gold Supporting Member

Jan 19, 2007
    Chicago
    Welcome back! I own a Walkabout head, though I haven't gigged it yet. I have a 12" Scout cab and a 15" Scout cab, and hooked together, I've gotten good results thus far. Generally speaking, more speaker area *should* give you the ability to get louder, to some extent.

I know that Tom Bowlus (who else?:D ) has hooked up a Walkabout head to a larger Mesa cab--I believe it was a P1000--and I think the results were good. He's gone for a couple days, but you might try PM'ing him when he gets back.

Also worth noting: The Walkabout is NOT rated at 2 ohms by Mesa, BUT at least two TBers (Bowlus and Chef) have run the head at 2 for long periods, multiple times, without any issues. I think another person may have had the head shut down due to overheating at 2, but I could be wrong.

4. tallboybass

tallboybass Supporting Member

Feb 25, 2003
    Tulsa, Oklahoma
    The correct answers are:

a) yes

and

b) yes

5. RickenBoogie

RickenBoogie

Jul 22, 2007
    Dallas, TX
    I have the Walkabout, and play it through a Powerhouse 4x10, and 2x10. It is plenty loud, and clean, and punchy, and I play with 2 guitarists, both with 100 watt Marshalls. It's a great little amp, and very warm for a hybrid, I'm a huge fan.

6. pfschim

pfschim Just a Skeleton with a Jazz bass

Apr 26, 2006
    SF Bay Area
    I have run my Walkabout 12 combo @ 2.67 into a Mesa Powerhouse 1x12 with no problems. I have also run the combo into a 4 ohm Scout 1x15 @ 2 ohms with no overheat problems while producing great volume and tone. GregC is correct in saying that the Mesa is not officially rated for 2ohms, but Mesa also has told several TBers (including me) that it's ok to run it that way. Mesa also said that running the Walkabout at 2ohms results in 500w of output.

Loudness is such a tough issue. As far as 8x10 fridge loud, not sure how to validate that really, but as others have said its plenty loud. With the Scout 15 extension in particular you get some pretty impressive pants flapping action going on.

Of course, I'm not sure that the Walkabout was really designed to compete with mega watt super stacks either (that's what the 400+, BigBlock and Titans are for :cool: ) so buyer beware.

most importantly ....

Enjoy!

7. Transverz

May 3, 2004
    Los Angeles, CA
    Alright! Now this is what I call a warm welcome (back)! Thanks for all the opinions and insight guys.

This sounds pretty promising. I'm gonna try and find a Walkabout and give her a test spin. From the testimonies given, it'll most likely do fine on my 2x10 + 1x15, and most likely a 4x10 by itself. But the P1000. Hmm...that's a hard beast to tame! I'll report my findings if and when I ever find a Walkabout that feels like taking a few laps around the test track.

All other experiences and opinions welcome. Thanks again!

-T

8. Chef

Chef Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

May 23, 2004
    Columbia MO
    Staff Reviewer; Bass Gear Magazine
    Ampeg SVT=300 watts.
    Mesa walkabout =500 watts at 2 ohms.

Yessir, with a whole bunch of cone area, it'll seem real dang loud. While it looked real stupid, I put my Walkabout Scout 12 on top of my Henry 8x8-just for science ya know;) It was stunning.

9. Transverz

May 3, 2004
    Los Angeles, CA
    Right on hehe...

I'd love to get it to 2 ohms. I think it'll handle it just fine based on my Mesa experience. But how would I go about doing this? I have two 8 ohm cabs (2x10 and 1x15) and my Powerhouse 1000 is either 8 ohms in the 4x10 or 1x15 side, or 4 ohms driven together (or so I believe). So how can I get this baby to start belting at 2 ohms from the cabs I got?

10. CrackBass

CrackBass

Aug 10, 2004
    huntsville,AL
    if you run the powerhouse at 4 ohms (all speakers) along with the two 8 ohm cabs that will give you 2 ohms. if that isn't loud enough, i think you may be deaf. 6 10's and 2 15's, damn, i think you will find that configuration is overkill for almost everything, but sometimes overkill is good. personally i think that the 210 115 stack would serve at least 90% of your needs very well.