Big guy? BIG BASS???

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by ldiezman, Jul 18, 2001.

1. ldiezman

Jul 11, 2001
    So I'm out with My girlfriend one night and we meet some of her friends.. We get to talking and somehow it comes up that I'm in a band. The girl says "what do you play".. I said of course the beast of all instruments "the bass". she says "yeah... you look like a bass player..." Now i could see her saying that i look like a basketball player (i'm 6'7") but she isn't the only person who has said something like this too me. I think the stereo type is you are either a tall skinny kid that can teat it up or a heavyset dude who blows you away with his soulfull playing.. I know this is a dumb thread but I just wanted to see if anyone has ever told you guys "You look like a bass player.."???!?!?!?!

2. Ívar Þórólfsson

Ívar Þórólfsson Mmmmmm... Supporting Member

Apr 9, 2001
    Kopavogur, Iceland
    I've been told by two girls that it´s obvious by looking at my fingers that I'm a bass player.

I don´t have a clue what they meant :)
  3. notduane

Nov 24, 2000
    I've often been told I smell like a drummer [​IMG]
  4. ZuluFunk

ZuluFunk Supporting Member

Apr 14, 2001
    Only because I'm the guy holding the bass!!!
  5. Bruce Lindfield

Bruce Lindfield Unprofessional TalkBass Contributor Gold Supporting Member

Actually I keep getting confused with our band leader who is the guitarist and takes bookings for our gigs. So we all turn up for the gig and inevitably somebody comes up and says to me : "You must be Mark, I spoke to you on the phone".

The thing is, they know that Mark is the guitar player; but he is playing some weird headless piezo guitar,which is basically just a stick. They look at me with my bass and think I must be the guitarist as nothing else we are carrying looks remotely like a guitar! ;)

The trouble is that that means they are the person who is going to be paying us so I can't really be rude and say what I'm thinking, which is "another ****ing idiot non-musician who can't tell a bass from a guitar!"
  6. fuh yea!
    everytime i say i'm a bassist to new people
    there like "o yea i guessed you were"
    im huge 280 pounds 6'0
    but if the guitarist for Fear Factory is a guitarist
    how come i can't look like one? HUH!
  7. ldiezman

Jul 11, 2001
    simple answer DeepDeath... Bass players just have that look you know.. So mysterious and what not.. everyone of them... we aren't generic guitar players.. we break the mold... hehe
  8. yea, I'm 6', 240... I know about the bass player sterotype.... when I talk to people they are like "Well your either the Bass Player, or the Drummer"
  9. KillsOn4String

Jul 11, 2001
    I don't really think i look like a bass player, but i surely am. I play a double bass in orchestra and an electric . I don't really hear that i look like a bass player that often but after i tell someone they're like " yeah you remind me of one. " Im like ok. But even if i don't look the look, i love playing bass , and thats all that matters.
  10. 72beetle

Jun 10, 2001
    Phoenix, Arizona
    Wow, I get that all the time, I thought it was just me. Whew!

I suppose I fit the stereotype, I'm a big guy (6 foot 1, 300 lbs), have long hair and a long beard, am covered with tattoos, and usually have a bass strapped on : )

11. I.'.I.'.Nakoa

I.'.I.'.Nakoa Guest

Aug 10, 2000
    Fort Worth.
    my friend once told me " Bass players should be fat, all the good ones are" (or something along those lines) then i felt better about my self, being 5'11 270lbs.. but , ive been told i look like a bass player.
  12. PeninaD

May 26, 2001
    Gee, I thought that was for opera singers?
  13. I.'.I.'.Nakoa

I.'.I.'.Nakoa Guest

Aug 10, 2000
    Fort Worth.
    "Gee, I thought that was for opera singers?"

14. Well i am 6ft3 and only 66kgs :eek: so don't hurt me. lol. I don't get that "oh you look like one", i guess i am an all round idiot anyway so when i say 'yeah i am a bassist" its like "oh", as in "oh" YOU do something cool.

15. i think alot of the time it's a comfort thing, i personally took up the bass guitar beacuse it felt much more comfortable, but also becasue it looked normal, instead of it looking like i was playing a stick

(wheres that pic gone :) )

i'm big 6'6" / 6'7" and weigh around 240lbs, but i also go to the gym 2 or 3 times a weeks and do quite a bit of weight, so i'm even bulkier around the shoulders

it doesn't matter if you fat or thin, big or tall, but i do notice that alot of big guys are attracted to the bass,. perhaps because we have a longer reach??

all i know is that i have a 36" scale bass, because a 34" feels like that stick :)

16. Phat Ham

Phat Ham

Feb 13, 2000
    Well I'm 5'11" and really really skinny (hey Jaco was a skinny dude) and most people wouldn't think I'm a bass player. But once I strap on my bass people say I fit the bass pretty well. Weird, huh.
  17. CamMcIntyre

Jun 6, 2000
    I've been told that-I'm 6ft 1in. 170 lbs. I'm also one of the quieter people around so they say thats another reason. thats all
  18. ldiezman

Jul 11, 2001
    Hmm. I'm a bass player and and opera singer... I'm just tall... not fat.. So i don't fit the being fat stereotype.. just the 6'7 goof that plays the bass.. I sing bass to.. I'm the only person I know that can sing lower than his bass can play. I'm a freak.... its cool though.

19. rickbass

rickbass Supporting Member

Ever check out Juan Nelson? Incredibly fine bassist with Ben Harper and the Innocent Criminals. He's on the cover of the latest Bass Player.

20. Gia

Feb 28, 2001
    5'1 an' damn proud !