1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Big head through a 210

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by powmetalbassist, May 31, 2011.

1. powmetalbassist

powmetalbassist Supporting Member

So I bought a Peavey Tour 700 head last week, and I'm looking to pick up a SWR 210. I've played through some SWR 410's and the "Triad" and liked the sound they produce. I have not seen alot of 210 that I've been able to try out (other then the Markbass stuff). I was wondering what peoples opinion of a 210 (particularily SWR stuff) is through a larger head (particularily Peavey Tour)

just trying to get a sense of it, before I order or find one used and make the drive to get it.

2. jjk2007

jjk2007 Supporting Member

Apr 16, 2008
    Austin, TX
    Endorsing Artist: DNA
    My first question is: Are you going to be able to cover all of your gigs/practices with a single 210? I'm sure that rig would sound fine, but you would just have to listen and make sure you're not overpowering the cab.

3. That's my take too. A 2x10 is not enough for an average gig. A pair, which is what I use, in a vertical stack makes a versatile system.

4. I dig 2x10's. They have worked in the past for me. My Yamaha BBT210S (250w, 4 ohms), paired with a Traynor YBA-200A, was more than powerful enough to compete with a cranked Marshall half-stack and an overly-enthusiastic prog metal drummer. I have played several 300-person gigs with that same cab and a Mesa Walkabout head, no problems. (I usually also run a line out to FOH, just in case.)

HOWEVER:
    I'm moving to a 2x12 cab when I afford it. The TC, specifically. Sound, size, weight, appearance just like a 2x10... except louder.

5. I use the same cab (set vertically with this stand) with either one side of a Peavey Megabass or a GK MB200. It's plenty for up to about 200 people or so sized clubs and I also run a DI to FOH for anything bigger.

6. powmetalbassist

powmetalbassist Supporting Member

Yeah the 1-210 is a starter setup. I plan on adding a 115 or a 2nd 210 later, but just starting with the single 210 for practicing and small gigs.

7. Gearhead17

Gearhead17 Supporting Member

May 4, 2006
    Mount Prospect, IL
    Almost every 210 out there is great for a stage monitor with VERY LITTLE low end. For hearing yourself on stage, this works really well. Two vertically stacked 210's kick butt for bigger gigs.

If you are trying to get the volume and tone of a 410 out of a 210, you will not succeed. 410's have some major oomph to them because of the additional speakers.

You can put as much power as you want into a 210. The cab is going to go as loud as it can go. Putting 700 watts instead of 1000 watts into a 500 watt RMS rated cab is NOT going to give you more volume. Both setups will sound good through the 210 as long as you are not pushing it beyond what it can do.