Big help needed plz!

Discussion in 'Recording Gear and Equipment [BG]' started by XPshychoticXPyr, Aug 21, 2003.

1. Ok im in another state from my band and me and my guitarist need a way to keep making music. I want to get a home music recording software...i play bass and do vocals so does anyone know of a good reliable software to do such things??? Plz help/advise me here...

2. HooBass

May 27, 2003
    I'll be interested in hearing others' replies -- here's mine.

A friend of mine and I are using high-speed internet connections and an FTP site to share music files that we're working on.

That is, we're not recording simultaneously -- he does his parts, uploads to the server, and when I get a chance I download, record, upload, etc.

It's been VERY easy, because:
    1) we've got highspeed (cable modem). It still takes about 45 minutes to upload 140MB of audio files but for me that's very workable -- Faster than dialup anyway.
    2) My friend had the knowledge and "server space" (I'm assuming that's the term) to set up an FTP site we could both access. Now that's done, I simply use Internet Explorer to access the site, and "copy and paste" files to/from my hard drive as if they were folders on my PC.
    3) We've both got Cubase SX, so there's no compatibility problems, and all the mix/EQ/FX settings are stored in the files.

Hope that helps!
  3. How do i plug into my computer with my bass or his guitar??? and how does he add distortion?? or any eeffects?...can he run it through his amp then into the computer cause hes got built in effects...

4. HooBass

May 27, 2003
    Sounds like what you need is a good, concise summary of how to record on computer AND need ideas for sharing that work long distance.

Unfortunately, regarding how to record on computer, I can't give my best reply right now (would take a while to collect the info and summarize, and I unfortunately don't the have time right now). Plus, there are probably other TBers who could add to what I know.

However, rather than only suggest you use the search future to scan the TB forums and find out more info, here's my quick/unstructured blurb. However, if you've got the time *definitely* do search TB-- there are folks who know a lot, there's more than one way to do this, and I know the info is there.

I personally use a Bass POD (no longer have my cab) and plug that straight into my computer. I plug it into a sound card that I bought specifically for music recording (a lot more info on such sound cards is available on TB). That is, I don't plug it into my SoundBlaster, although one could with the right cables, etc. My guitarist friend has a guitar pre-amp that he runs into a mixing board (with effects gear hooked up to that) which itself is hooked up to his computer’s sound card. My card is a Steinberg Project Card (came with the Cubasis VST recording software I bought years ago). There are many other cards out there; I assume most are better. For example, my card only accepts two sources of input (left and right channel) or a mic. Other cards can record multiple sources (great if more than one musician is being recorded at a time, of if you wanted to record separate drum bits on separate tracks). I've read that others get good results going straight into SoundBlaster quality cards, and others that say that's flying in the face of God or something. I got poor results, myself.

We both use Cubase SX now, and that has a lot of software effects that we use (called “plug-ins”), and there are more downloadable from the internet (including free ones). However, as I mentioned above, one could add FX to the signal before going into the computer. We do a bit of both.

Some general points:
    * There are many different ways to get your sound on the computer, all of which involve different bits that could be between your guitar and the hard drive. E.g., what kind of sound card, mixer or not, pre-amp or not, DI box or not, hardware FX or not, mic’d cabinets or not. The choices and their pros and cons are a bit much for me to summarize here.
    * To hook up to sound cards, one has to match the impedance of the source to the card. E.g., if you’re hooking a passive electronics bass to a sound card, you’d need a DI or some other form of conversion to get the bass signal up to “line” level, which is accepted by the card. To be honest, I didn’t pay any attention to this when hooking up my active bass, my POD and my card, but I understand now it’s important.
    * Regarding the Bass POD. I’m currently in a “quest for tone” because I’m not satisfied with my way of recording bass, and maybe you can learn from my frustration. I’ve found my bass-to-POD-to-computer setup simply has no growl to it. Much of this could be due to a lack of ability and exploration on my part, but I’m wondering if a DI box (specifically the Sansamp Bass Driver, Sansamp RBI, SABDDI, whatever – Sansamp seems to get pretty good reviews) might be better, and finally I’m even thinking of buying cabinets to go with my head, a couple of mics, and recording my tone that way. In the end, I’ve found it hard to try things out without forking over some $$$ first. TB, I think, has been helpful in sorting the mess.

Talk soon,
  5. japhy4529

japhy4529 this is only a test... Supporting Member

Lee has brought up some excellent points regarding getting sounds into your computer. Here are a couple more suggestions for ya.

I agree with Lee that using the stock soundcard in your PC, or even a Soundblaster card will sound like poo. Make the investment in a Professional Soundcard designed for recording musical instruments. Some manufacturers that make this type of soundcard include Digidesign, Motu, Terratec, Edirol, Tascam, etc.. Here is some detailed info on a couple of the more popular soundcards:

Digidesign - The people who make/sell ProTools software. They sell a few different Audio Interfaces/Soundcards for the Home Studio such as:

M-Box This is a USB Audio Soundcard/Interface. It includes two 1/4" inputs with can be used to plug in a Bass or Guitar and Two XLR (Microphone) inputs. You can record two tracks at a time with this unit. Also comes with ProTools multitrack software for Mac/PC. I think this retails for around $400.

Digi 001 This is an Audio Soundcard/Interface, that is connected to your computer via a PCI Card. You can record up to 8 tracks simultaneously with this unit. Also ships with ProTools multitrack software. Retails for around $700 or so.

Tascam - Tascam sells several inexpensive USB Audio Soundcard/Interfaces.

Tascam US-122 - Great entry level USB Audio interface. Includes 2 XLR inputs, 2 1/4" inputs, and 2 1/4" inserts (for connecting compressors, EQ, etc..). You can record two tracks at a time. Includes Cubasis multitrack software. Retails for around $200.

Make sure before you buy any type of audio soundcard/interface to check out the minimum computer requirements. Your PC/Mac needs to be powerful enough (CPU speed, RAM, Hard drive space) to handle the demands of recording multi-track audio.

Well, that's a start. If you decide to get into computer based recording, I would recommend picking up a book or two. Mix Online is one publisher to check out.

Good luck!

- Tom
  6. 12notes

Jul 15, 2003
    n-track studio.

Starting from about $50 (16bit) to less than $100 (24bits).

Very easy to use and fully featured.

Check out also the Muzes from the u.k.

Both have free demos. Really great recording software.