1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Big Joe Turner's bass player/s

Discussion in 'Rockabilly [DB]' started by Trimmo91, Sep 11, 2019.

1. Trimmo91

Trimmo91

Apr 29, 2015
    Anyone know who played bass for Big Joe Turner? Particularly on this track:

I've always felt that his jump blues records always featured an amazing bass sound and I'm trying to find out who played bass for him.

Keith Rawlings likes this.
  2. Keith Rawlings

Keith Rawlings

Aug 3, 2019
    I wish I knew. Flip Flop and Fly is one is my favorite tunes and his rhythm section is amazing on that one!

Trimmo91 likes this.
  3. Blues56

Blues56

Oct 27, 2012
    NJ
    Did some research on Allmusic and jazz bassists Walter Page and Doug Watkins are listed as playing on Big Joe Turner's hits from the 50s. So it's most likely one of them playing on the songs mentioned.

4. AGCurry

AGCurry Supporting Member

Jun 29, 2005
    St. Louis
    It's unlikely that Walter Page played on Corrinne, Corinna, as he died in 1957. He did play on Turner's The Boss of the Blues Plays Kansas City Jazz, which is one of my top five favorite albums of all time. Page and several other of Count Basie's orchestra, along with the great Pete Johnson, were the sidemen on that album.

Doug Watkins could have been the bassist, although I don't think he would have been "first call" for the Turner sessions of that time.

Trimmo91 and Keith Rawlings like this.