Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Big, Loud Single Humbucker...

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by Pearl_jammin, Jan 25, 2006.

1. I have a P-bass shaped body with no pickup routing at the moment...
    I'm thinking of not going for a standard P-pickup and just putting in a single, high output but low noise humbucker/soapbar style pickup. Like a MM pickup maybe.
    This is gonna be designed as a VERY aggressive bass, overdriven tone almost all the time...so any suggestions for the pickup?

2. pickles

pickles Supporting Member

Mar 23, 2000
    Ventura, CA
    Dark star?

3. Trevorus

Trevorus

Oct 18, 2002
    Urbana, IL
    I would go with a MM or something similar.

4. Single dark star pickups seem pretty popular. Try it out.

5. while dark stars are touted to sound incredible, they are not humbuckers...they are single coils.

I don't think that dark stars sound would be described as "very agressive"...

If you want "very agressive" go with just about any MM type 'bucker wired in series.

6. Jazz Ad

Jazz Ad Mi la ré sol Gold Supporting Member Supporting Member

I'd use a Di Marzio Split P.
    It's hard to find more agressivity in a passive pickup.
    4 black blades hardly qualify as traditional looking.

7. bazzanderson

bazzanderson

Oct 7, 2002
    Austin, TX
    if you can get your hands on a G&L MFD Pickup...those are the hottest pickups made. Specifically the L-2000 bass model. I don't know if you can find G&L aftermarket though...worth a search.

-bazz-

8. Jazz Ad

Jazz Ad Mi la ré sol Gold Supporting Member Supporting Member

Well, if someone can get aftermarket G&L pickups, I'd definitely be interested into buying a couple of them.

9. Eric Cioe

Eric Cioe

Jun 4, 2001
    Missoula, MT
    I use a Basslines MM humbucker in the neck position of my fretless jazz, and it sounds huge. Try it out.

10. bazzanderson

bazzanderson

Oct 7, 2002
    Austin, TX
    I think someone on talkbass knew of a bass / guitar shop that sold them...this was a post a long time ago though. But yeah...they are THE hottest I've ever heard...too much so.

-Bazz-

11. bazzanderson

bazzanderson

Oct 7, 2002
    Austin, TX
    yeah....and it looks cool as hell as well, Eric.
    -Bazz-

12. A9X

A9X

Dec 27, 2003
    Sinny, Oztraya
    Rio Grande Powerbucker?
    Never heard one, only a serving suggestion.

13. lmao, at first it thought this said something along the lines of...

Big, loud, single male, searching for partner...

:D

But seriously, look into Nordstrand or Seymour Duncan.

14. Human Bass

Human Bass

Aug 26, 2005
    Delano has a P pup with some really big poles.

[​IMG]

15. In a recording session, I found my G&L L1500 is by far the hottest output pickup I own.

I compared it to a DiMarzio DP146 (will power middle) and Quarter Pounder SPB-3. Of the three, the SPB-3 is the lowest output. None are wimps.

My L1500 is very aggressive and has grind for days. IMO if you really want grind, consider a MM placement instead of a P location, and use the L1500 MFD pickup.

16. rumblethump

rumblethump Supporting Member

Mar 25, 2000
    Pioneer CA. 95666
    I went with a Kent Armstrong MM wired with a 3 way switch:
    :bassist: Its my main player now days :)
    [​IMG]

Measured 13.5 way hotter than most MMs which measure 8 or less. Sounds great in all three settings.

17. I own a L-2000 and they have the best sounding pup I've ever heard. I don't know if they are available without buying a G&L bass though.

Who knows what after market pickup comes close to the G&L MFD humbuckers?

18. dcr

dcr Supporting Member

Basslines MM!

Had one installed in my Franken-P and it was dang aggressive. I took it out because it was so agressive, and toned down to a Bart.

But I'd recommend the Basslines MM for your needs any day.

dcr

19. 4Mal

4Mal Supporting Member

Jun 2, 2002
    Columbia River Gorge
    IMO - it's the combination of pickup, bridge strings and amp. A pickup alone isn't necessarily aggressive on it's own. Yes some are hotter than others - that's why your amp has an input gain control ... (well most do anyway...)

My suggestion is Dark Star. Wahdda wonderful sounding pickup... Here's a pic with rough pickguard. I've been laying down some tracks today before handing it back to my luthier tomorrow. He's going to make a pickguard tracing and some adjustments to the tracing so I get a decent fit. This guard works but it's pretty hacked up. I'm going for the gold anodized one from Jeannies. Through the old Bassman and 2x12 bin it just drips tone ... maybe only 50 watts but the recorder doesn't know that... The DS sounds sweet through my GK & Bag End rig too but the mic'd cabinet thing is way yummy.

[​IMG]