1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Big low end bass amps.

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by The1bassist06, Jul 29, 2017.

1. Hi there everyone. I'm currently looking for a new amp for playing in the bedroom that has some fat low end. Im currently playing on a GK MB210 and it's not really giving me that low end im looking for. It also gets farty when the bass is boosted.As far as basses im playing a Warwick Double buck as my main player and a Squier modified 70s jazz bass for backup.

I have been looking at the Fender rumbles 15' but haven't had a chance to play on one yet. I really dont want to spend anymore then like $600. Thoughts?

trebbihm likes this.
  2. Stumbo

Stumbo Wherever you go, there you are. Supporting Member Commercial User

Feb 11, 2008
    the Cali Intergalctic Mind Space
    Song Surgeon slow downer software- full 4 hour demo
  3. Yahboy

Yahboy

May 21, 2008
    Fender rumble 200/150 and don't forget engage the Vintage button with horn off.

Or .... find the used Marshall MB150 combo. Voice 1 is the tone you looking for.

Hopehelp

4. JACink

JACink

Mar 9, 2011
    Spain
    If it is only for you to use in the bedroom, and all you want is more bass frequencies, you could add a sub to the GK MB210.

Stumbo likes this.
  5. eJake

eJake

May 22, 2011
    New Orleans
    Check out 12 inch speakers as well

6. These may not be what you're looking for but I just bought an old Ampeg B-18, 50 watts with an 18" speaker, now that thing puts out some serious low end with punch, also got a B-15S, 60 watts with a 15" speaker, same with that, these are the best sounding bedroom amps ever made.

NoiseNinja likes this.
  7. NoiseNinja

NoiseNinja Experimental-psychedelic-ambient-noise-drone Banned

Feb 23, 2011
    Denmark
    Owned a B-15S myself at some point (the 1969 model), and I agree that is one amazingly great sounding amp.

Unfortunately I was stupid enough to sell it in between bands.

I actually used it for both rehearsing and gigging, it got insanely loud pushed hard, and on some of the minor venues it didn't even need PA backup.

Also never had any problems with it, and all the care it needed while I owned it was a single tube change.

bobyoung53 likes this.
  8. brianmharrison

brianmharrison

Oct 11, 2007
    Atlanta
    Bedroom tone with lots of bass. Sounds like a job for an SWR

9. Those old Ampegs are amazing, my B-15S is a late 70's (I think 77, forgot) but it's still got the original power tubes in it, the B-18n is a mid 60's and the preamp and driver tubes are original and not microphonic at all. Both these amps are really loud for what they are and sound great. I sold a b-15n I had bought new in 1980, also sold a 60's B-15n, never again, been kicking myself since. The picture of the B-18 was done before I cleaned it up and changed the Ampeg insignia.

Attached Files:

Last edited: Jul 29, 2017
    lowplaces and NoiseNinja like this.
  10. Sorry I ment 15 inch speaker. And I have been wanting to check out SWR. I haven't found any music shops that carry them. I checked out the Ampeg B-18 and they are just really expensive. Do you think adding a MBE115 cab to my MB210 be a pretty good option? I don't really need all 500watts.

11. That's a lot of amp just for the bedroom. I have to ask--just what are you doing in there that requires a back up instrument?

DavC and hieronymous like this.
  12. MoeTown1986

MoeTown1986 Supporting Member

Sep 14, 2010
    SoMD (Mechanicsville)
    Just get a GK MB210 extension cab to hook up to your combo.

TrentB likes this.
  13. Coolhandjjl

Coolhandjjl Supporting Member

Oct 13, 2010
    Appleton
    If you are in a small room, you are more prone to nulls/cancelling out any long waves due to room dimensions vs. wavelengths of low frequencies. I showed an RTA graph of a pink noise signal I made to an engineer, and he deduced my room dimensions based on anomalies in the graph.

In my practice area at home, my cabs always sounded okay, but nothing to write home about. In a larger setting like a venue, even just a garage, they sound fantastic.

14. 40Hz

40Hz Supporting Member

Just picked up an Ampeg B100R off the classifieds here for much the same reason you're shopping. I wanted a nice low to moderate volume practice and home jam type amp with a 15" and a lot of that old Ampeg tone and vibe. Kinda pretty looking with that diamond pattern tolex too.

You can find them for less than $350 in decent condition at all the usual places. Highly recommended. :thumbsup:

15. yes sir. I used a SWR SM400S for a decade and a half. Un-believable low end that I had to dial out or risk over extending and hurting the SWR Goliath speakers. I never heard low frequencies that abundant. Luckily the amp had parametric controls to allow me accurately define the frequencies to eliminate or else my tone was awash in mud and rumble. Sold that puppy still going strong about a week ago. Indestructible. Now I'm old and just want class D and neodymium combos.

16. scowboy

scowboy Supporting Member

Jun 9, 2006
    Sacramento area
    I have an old Eden WTX260 that I paid $200 for. It is capable of massive low end at bedroom volumes. Speaker is a nothing special 1x10 cabinet.

17. hieronymous

hieronymous

Nov 28, 2002
    Northern CA
    Isn't the GK MB-210 a 500 watt amp? You might be overdriving it with the output from your Warwick. Try turning down the bass volume/EQ and use the power from the amp. Isn't your bass active? If so, then you don't have to turn it all the way up - will sound the same turned down half-way.

Boosting the bass - at bedroom level at that - should not push it that hard. I've got an MB-112, it's only 200 watts but I can use it with moderate volume drummers - how loud are you playing???

18. Lvjoebass

Lvjoebass In Memoriam

Jan 19, 2017
    Adding a 15 to what you got would really look nice and defiantly change your tone! Just watch the ohmage

19. JimmyM

JimmyM

Apr 11, 2005
    Apopka, FL
    Endorsing: Ampeg Amps, EMG Pickups
    The lowest going small cab that's a reasonable price that I know of is the Ampeg PF115lf. The PF115he is tuned a tiny bit higher, but it's got a very big low end as well, plus a very nice tweeter if you're into that tweeter thing.

Ampslut and Lvjoebass like this.
  20. hieronymous

hieronymous

Nov 28, 2002
    Northern CA
    Or is it the older one with the silver grill? Not sure how high those were rated, actually there were structural issues with those, weren't there? That might be what you're experiencing. The new MB-112 II with the black cloth grill might actually work for you. Or one of the Fender Rumble amps. Figure out if there's a problem with your current gear - especially if you have the old silver grill version.