Big mits short fingers. What necks do you like?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Oldie but noobe, Sep 21, 2005.

1. Hey y'all

Just wondering what neck profiles/shapes are comfortable for those with really big palms and short fingers. The palm of my hands are really large and my fingers are short. I am sure I am not the only one.
    What have you found to work for you? :help:
  2. thisSNsucks

Dec 19, 2004
    Yonkers, NY
    We'll I dont know if its because of the proportions of my hands but I really like flatter fingerboards. My SX P-bass has a 1-5/8 width at the nut and a really flat fingerboard, not sure of the radius though. Plays great (thanks again Hambone). I also really love the feel of a Musicman Sterlings neck. Id say check out a few basses from different manufacturers at your local shop and see which one you feel real comfortable with. then find the specs for it online and there you have it. Hope that helps.
  3. Well I have really big palms but also long fingers. Still, I'm gonna reply with the universal TalkBass answer:

Jazz Bass!
  4. No offense but :D

I only want to hear from guys with big palms and short fingers :p
  5. BoiNtC

Nov 25, 2002
    NYC, USA
    I have okay sized palms (I think), and pretty short fingers, I always wanted to play a ERB but when I tried the GT7 that someone brought to the NYC get together, it was way too much, I think I can play a 5 string max.... anyway, I like the necks on all my basses (F Bass BN5, MTD 535 which is the most comfortable, Lakland 55-94, and Fender Roscoe Beck V)
  6. Well I figure once you can play you can play anything. I was thinking comfort and ease. Thanks

Come on there has to be guys with big palms and short fingers
  7. Folmeister

Folmeister Knowledge is Good - Emile Faber Supporting Member

May 7, 2003
    Tomball, Texas
    I wouldn't say I have overly large palms, but my fingers look like Vienna sausages! I like the following neck profiles:

1. MM/EB Sterling - I have a 99 with a birdseye neck that fits my hand like it was made for it

2. Reverend Rumblefish - The perfect cross of jazz bass and Sterling

3. Sadowsky Metro 4 - The neck on my Metro is very easy to play

4. Geddy Lee Jazz Bass - The super-slim neck is great

5. Bongo 5 - My Bongo neck feels different than every other B5 I have played. This is my only fiver

6. My 79 P-Bass - The neck on mine must have been custom ordered because it is much slimmer in overall depth (fretboard to skunk stripe) than any P-Bass I have ever encountered. I had a summit on this neck just the other day and it is truly unique
  8. Edword

Jun 23, 2005
    My hands are the same way. Large overall, but my fingers are not long (I am also an "oldie noob"). These are my basses. Their necks are quite different. The Beatle bass is short-scale, with a very slim neck. The Corvette Std. has a large, chunky neck, and the Stingray is somewhere in between (closer in profile to the Beatle than the 'vette).

I was kind of surprised to find the Corvette to be the most comfortable for me to grip, especially for extended periods, without getting cramps. None of them are uncomfortable.

BTW, I don't own a Fender Jazz, but I tried one out recently, and it felt good. I want to try a P as well, then buy one or the other.
  9. BoiNtC

Nov 25, 2002
    NYC, USA
    MTD has to be the most comfortable easiest playing bass I've ever played... (I'VE EVER PLAYED so nobody argue with me about blah blah blah I don't want any of that crap)
  10. bassclef112

bassclef112 Supporting Member

Sep 2, 2003
    New York City, NY
    I have the same kind of hands. I learned to play on a '70 Tele that I bought new - I didn't try a Jazz neck until many years later. Though it's wider than a Jazz, it's flatter than a P so I find it very comfortable. It didn't hurt being weaned on it either.
    My overall comfort/dexterity preference is a "standard" Jazz type neck (you know there are many variations on these). I don't like when they're too skinny - I get tangled up in 'em. I can also enjoy a wide neck if it has a flat profile (like a Fender C) - it requires more thoughtful note selection, and the wider spacing affords more "room to move".

The basses I own cut a pretty broad swath as far as type of neck, but they all work for me.
  11. :D
  12. Thanks Guys

I like a thin neck. It can be wide, like the Roscoe 3006, I had for a short while as long as it's thin/flat. But I'm just a noobe and I wanted to know what y'all felt comfortable with.
  13. Jerry Ziarko

Jerry Ziarko Supporting Member

Feb 23, 2003
    Rochester, NY
    My condition exactly. Try a Peavey Cirrus. It is one of the most comfortable basses I have ever held in MY hands. My fingers aren't overly short, but in comparison to my palms they look wrong. :p
  14. LowDownDave

Sep 9, 2005
    I think that "condition" somewhat describes my hands. My first bass was an Ibanez SR800 which felt pretty good, though at the time I had nothing to compare it to I checked the dimensions on the internet and compared it to other basses and it seemed to have a relatively thin neck.

Then I wanted to upgrade to a MM Stingray. Because I knew my hands weren't the biggest I was originally concerned it wouldn't work for me, but I didn't have any problems and didn't notice any difference between the Ibanez and Stingray (in COMFORT!!!)

I know the MM Sterling neck is even slimmer (though there were none in my area to try), so they should "in theory" be even more comfortable (though I know it's all up to individual taste).

I suppose what you really need to do is go and try out a bunch of basses and see what's comfortable for you (and you can narrow some down by the basses listed in this thread).

I haven't tried a LOT of different basses, but that's my two cents. At least having large palms and small fingers must be better than having small palms and small fingers! :D
  15. jblake

Aug 30, 2001
    Gray, ME
    I've got the same kind of mits you have. These are what I've found comfortable:

Jazz bass
    MM basses: I LOVE the necks on all the models. I've owned 2 SR5s and they are comfy
    G&L: I had an ASAT for a while and it played like buttah.

Not comfy (Now this is just my experience): 35" scale instruments and 6 strings. I had a Modulus six for a while and came to the realization that I don't have the stretch for the lower register. I also had to bend my wrist at a pretty extreme angle to get down there. Not a good choice for me physically.
  16. Chasarms

Chasarms Casual Observer

May 24, 2001
    Bettendorf, IA USA
    Neck comfort is more about your approach to playing than it is the size of your hands.
  17. I am sure you're right.
    That goes along with my thinking that when you can play, you can play/addapt to most anything.
    But that is not what I was asking :p :D

Thanks again to all who posted. :bassist: I really wanted to see where the guys with mits like mine kinda settled in. They pretty much felt good with what I felt comfortable with.

I have only been at it 6 months and I am getting a feel for what I like and don't like. I am even starting to feel a little more free on the fretboard. At 55 I don't see a big career in music, but I love the Bass and those Bass lines :bassist:
    My goal is to be able to play with the church praise group someday :hyper: and play that funky music well
  18. Chasarms

Chasarms Casual Observer

May 24, 2001
    Bettendorf, IA USA

What I mean is that of you prefer to play with the neck higher, your elbow lower and the crotch of your thumb/first finger at or close to the lower edge of the fingerboard, typically, you are more likely to prefer a wider, flatter neck, as you are not straining to reach the strings with your fingers or gain leverage to stop the notes and the extra spacing between the strings is more comfortable to play. Without regard to the size of your hands. If you approach playing like this, you can typically handle even the widest of necks assuming your hand size is somewhere within the 5-100th percentile of adult humans.

If you prefer to wear the bass lower, the elbow higher and keep the thumb/first finger crotch closer to the top edge of the fingerboard, you are more likely to prefer a narrower neck as it allows you to reach the E and A string more easily. If you have really small hands and play like this, you'll dig a super skinny neck like an old jazz. Bigger hands may like more of a Fender D-style neck, as they can reach the strings anyway and the smaller necks feel like choking a broom handle.
  19. adouglas

Jun 23, 2003
    Bridgeport, CT
    Good thoughts here.

I really don't know what the size of your palms has to do with it...I put my thumb on the neck, not my palm.

Length of fingers is much more important. I have small hands, but once I got a decent bass and realized that it was a lot easier to play with it slung higher, I had no problem at all. The only basses I can't really handle comfortably are 6ers...the fingerboard is just too wide for me.
  20. lowphatbass

lowphatbass ****

Feb 25, 2005
    west coast
    Big Palm Short Fat Finger Guy Here!!

The size of the Palm and overall hand does make a difference as well as the fingers. If you touch your middle finger to your thumb and make a circle the diameter of that circle is an important variable and it is based on hand size, thumb and finger lengh and general hand anatomy. The width of the hand is also important in terms of neck thickness and shape as a wider hand can naturally have more "curl" and cover the same length which will allow for a rounder neck.
    After witnessing 11 year old girls that are barely 4 feet tall playing 1/2 sized Double Bass and Celli(still sizable instruments!) with legit technique I am of the belief that effective technique can overcome ALMOST any bassneckchallenge that's out there. Seeing some of the 12+ string MONSTERS that dudes are wrangling here on TB is a good example, those weren't exactly basketball palming NBA power forwards handling those massive slabs!!
    I like flatish neck profiles with plenty of fingerboard radius, it just feels comfortable to me. This is probably due to my early instrument choices(Jazz Bass)and what I became familiar with early in my development.