Big Muff compared to Darkglass or Swell overdrive

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by Killens84, Dec 17, 2012.

1. Killens84

Killens84 Supporting Member

Sep 3, 2008
    Mississippi
    I've been playing bass for several years, but I've just now become interested in effects. I wanted a pedal that would make my sound a little bigger and dirtier for playing popular rock covers (nothing extremely heavy). I bought an Electro-Harmonix Big Muff, and that wasn't what I was looking for.

I'm now looking at either a Darkglass B3K or a Swell B-Pro overdrive. How much difference will either of those pedals be from the Big Muff? And will either of those pedals give me that little bit of boost and dirt without going overboard?

2. JonnyAngle

JonnyAngle Dropping Acid Pedal Etching .com Supporting Member Commercial User

Nov 24, 2008
    Maple Grove, MN
    DroppingAcidPedalEtching.com
    I haven't tried the B3K or Swell, but I do know that they are not fuzz pedals like the Muff. Therefore, they are totally different. Everyone else, I'm sure, will give a much more detailed explanation.

3. NKUSigEp

NKUSigEp

Jun 6, 2006
    Bright, IN
    HUGE difference. One is a fuzz, the others are overdrives. And there are major differences between the Swell and the Darkglass too. The Darkglass is bright and sparkly and the Swell is rich and wooly (more like an old SVT).

4. tink9975

tink9975

Aug 10, 2006
    MoCo, MD
    the B3K and the Swell are very different from the muff.

I don't have any experience with the B3K (yet), I use a Swell B-Drive as my OD. With 2 gain levels accessible by foot switch, you can set one channel for a little bit of grit and warmth, and the other for a more distorted sound. (though it wont get fuzzy like the Muff).

If you are just getting into pedals, I would suggest looking for some cheaper OD's so that you can play around with them and get a better feel for what you like before you drop serious coin on a high end OD. The Swell runs well over 300 and has a long lead time, the B3K is more readily available, but still goes for 260. the digitec bad monkey is a good value, Ive also heard really good things about the Hardwire OD.

5. MSUsousaphone

MSUsousaphone

Dec 4, 2009
    Lake Charles, La
    Endorsed Artist: Myco Pedals
    I use both.....and I actually own both. Amazing pedals but two totally different sounds from eachother and way different from the muff. What sound do you like and what kind of music do you play?

6. Killens84

Sep 3, 2008
    Mississippi
    My band plays originals and covers. Our originals are somewhere between the styles of John Mayer and Jason Aldean. For covers, we do a very wide variety, including a lot of popular rock covers (nothing overly heavy). I'm looking to get a little more warm fatness and dirt when I need it. I don't typically go for a hi-fi tone.

7. giglawyer

giglawyer Supporting Member

Apr 15, 2003
    Toledo, OH
  8. NKUSigEp

NKUSigEp

Jun 6, 2006
    Bright, IN
    You want the Swell for that but I might add a SansAmp BDDI, a ParaDriver, or a VT Bass to that list first (a little cheaper, easier to obtain, and still get a great tone that is on par with what you're looking for).

9. MSUsousaphone

MSUsousaphone

Dec 4, 2009
    Lake Charles, La
    Endorsed Artist: Myco Pedals
    Yeah, I agree. The B3K has a more.....metal or punk vibe to it. One of my all time favorite bass sounds. I mean, it has more uses than those two genres, but when I try to think of examples I keep coming up with the Bouncing Souls and stuff like that. Kinda compressed, almost more of a distortion based.....

The Swell almost seems more fuzz based. Like a like unsaturated fuzz. I think more vintage OD. Alt rock...indie rock. Like NKU said, fatter and grittier.

It's a toss up, to me. I have my third B3K in bound and once I got the Swell, it's never left my board. I LOVE the B3K tone but I never find myself in bands that can utilize that sound. I'm always using the Swell tone in them.

Darkhorse to throw in, Drakglass has a new vintage sounding pedal coming out that sounds like it'll get closer to that Swell sound.

10. Killens84

Sep 3, 2008
    Mississippi
    After reading about the Darkglass Vintage Microtubes pedal, it seems like that may be the one to go with when it comes out.

11. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Aug 1, 2021