1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Big Muff + Gk 1001rb = uncontrollable feedback

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by Brattbugg, Jan 22, 2012.

1. Brattbugg

Brattbugg Supporting Member

Jun 28, 2009
    Motor City
    Ive searched and found nothing on my situation so here goes...I play through a Gk 1001rb and use a Stingray as my main rig. Attempting to get a suitable Muse tone, I bought a new Bass big Muff. I am satisfied with the tone it produces but here's my issue. I like the switch on the Muff to be up in the bass boost mode, but it does it in the normal mode as well . As soon as I turn on the pedal, even with the guitar turned all the way down, I get massive low-end feedback. I have the sustain dialed about 4 oclock, the tone about 5 oclock and the volume set to match whether is on or off. I can get rid of the feedback 2 different ways, #1 turn down the sustain ( this loses the tone I am looking for), #2 turn down the bass on the amp ( now I lose the tone as well). I'm stumped! any ideas.

2. rratajski

rratajski Commercial User

Jul 1, 2008
    Mount Laurel, NJ
    Builder for FUZZROCIOUS PEDALS
    Welcome to big muffs.
    Turn down the sustain, do a gate mod, or live with the feedback.

3. Brattbugg

Jun 28, 2009
    Motor City
    Thanks for the input. The sustain I need for the tone, What is the gate mod? where do I find it?

4. rratajski

Jul 1, 2008
    Mount Laurel, NJ
  5. Brattbugg

Jun 28, 2009
    Motor City
    Thanks

6. Lebowsky

Lebowsky Effects Forum Resident

Mar 18, 2007
    Lausanne, Switzerland
    you sure you're not playing too close to the amp?

7. MOTORHEADBANGER

MOTORHEADBANGER Spud-boy looking for a real tomato

Dec 23, 2008
    Sidney, Indiana
    As stated earlier, welcome to the world of Big Muffs. They are fussy beasts and don't work well with every bass. Have you tried running it in the instrument input of the amp and the effects loop, one might be more suitable than the other, also do you have the active button engaged on your amp? It might even be the bass as Muffs don't tend to do well with many active instruments.

8. BogeyBass

BogeyBass

Sep 14, 2010
    No mods needed EH already provided a amazing advanced feedback technology in the Big Muff. You simple need to unlock its function.

Here is how you do it=

When you are not playing your bass= turn switch off
    When you are playing your bass = turn switch on

9. rratajski

Jul 1, 2008
    Mount Laurel, NJ
    Muffs are actually one of the pedals that are compatible w/ actives ;)

10. Brattbugg

Jun 28, 2009
    Motor City
    I don't even have to have a bass plugged into the Muff. Seriously the volume on the bass is totally down.

11. Brattbugg

Jun 28, 2009
    Motor City
    It does this even plugging into the effects return.

12. Don't stand so close to the amp?

13. BogeyBass

BogeyBass

Sep 14, 2010

No big muff is not very compatible with active pickups, its obvious that the low impedance output of a active bass is not loading down the muff input like a passive would. Causing it to self oscillate and feedback more.

the oscillation will stop when there is a signal going into it....( you playing bass) hence the reason i said=

When you are not playing your bass= turn switch off
    When you are playing your bass = turn switch on

(something all guitar players learn when they are 14 years old because distortion use is the norm for guitars)

Going into the effects return will bypass the amps tone controls and gain structure. Doing nothing to control feedback or unloaded self oscillating pedals.

Effect Loops are mainly for Delay based effects like Delay/Reverb, which includes the preamp gain and tone controls. and will place preamp distortion and EQ before the effect. Making delay based effects post distortion, not pre distortion.
    Using Delay into distortion will make the effect to washed out. that is the main use for effects loops. Mainly effecting guitar players, since delay effects are not as common with bass.

straight into amp= washed out

Delay > Pre Amp Distortion > tone control

using effect loop= good delay sound

Pre amp Distortion > tone control > Delay

usually for distortion based effects you want the distortion before the tone controls, so you can clean up the distortion with the amp tone controls, putting a distortion pedal in the effects loop would defy this, and would be senseless and worthless.

most bass effects like compression, envelope filters, phasers and distortion can all go straight in. making effects loops in bass amps one of the dumbest most un needed things.

But it can help if you insist on using delay or modulated delay based effects. With alot of pre amp or pedal based distortion with effects like....Reverb , Delay, Chorus or Flanger.

delay before distortion will wash out the effect,
    you want delay after distortion and tone controls, hence the effect loop and its only needed purpose.

14. Ding!

15. BogeyBass

BogeyBass

Sep 14, 2010
    So just to be a nice guy, I drew this quick pic for you to show a mod you can do to make muff active bass friendly and keep your search for Muse tone authentic.

knowing you dont have a ram head version as shown in the picture, dont matter I just used whatever big muff schematic came up.
    The Big Muff circuit has not really changed much, only certain parts values will change, the circuit is the same.

anyhoo....

To stop self oscillation and provide radio interference filter you just need to add a .001 uf capacitor after the first input resistor to ground as shown.
    yours might not be 39k but it will have similar value.

To make the input impedance more suited for active you just need to remove the factory 1meg and change it to 10K

after you do this mod it will be friendly to active only, the 10K input will make passive sound very muddy.

if you dont like that then just try adding the cap, this will most likely dampen most the self oscillation, if it does not, then you need to swap the resistor too.

Attached Files:

16. Brattbugg

Jun 28, 2009
    Motor City
    I so appreciate this. Thank you.

17. Brattbugg

Jun 28, 2009
    Motor City
    All I could get a hold of today is a .0015 uf cap. I have the resistor. Will that work?