Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Big muff low end mod

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by opivy3056, Oct 10, 2005.

1. opivy3056

opivy3056 Supporting Member

Oct 14, 2004
    Annapolis, MD
    hey whats up

I dont know if this has been posted before, but i couldnt find anything useful in the archives.

The American Big Muff pi is a truly awesome pedal, I use it more than all of my others combined. It sounds great in a band situation but is blurs the attack and you hear the breakup on the low end when you play by yourself.

Ive been listening to S.C.I.E.N.C.E. by incubus and I was wondering if dirk lance has a mod on his big muff. His attack and low end are precisely intact. Id like to acheive this sound but dont know how to get there.

Is the big muff itself modded? Or is he using a looper? Or is his bass setup just superior to mine(no doubt)?

any suggestions?

2. tplyons

tplyons

Apr 6, 2003
    Madison, NJ
    Are you sure he's using a Big Muff on that song? I don't have the song available to me, so I couldn't tell you.

Big Muff's also vary from Muff to Muff, some are bassier than others and some aren't and therefore some "need" mods and others don't. It's a simple conversion with a few capacitor replacements. Nothing crazy.

3. opivy3056

opivy3056 Supporting Member

Oct 14, 2004
    Annapolis, MD
    Im almost positive he's using a big muff.

Science is actually an album, not a song. He uses the distortion throughout.

If anyone has the album near them listen to Calgone.

It sounds like it could be a muff to me.

4. spidersbass

spidersbass

Nov 29, 2004
    Downtown L.A.
    search "big muff mod". Basstyra modded his russian muff and Joker modded his USA muff using Basstyras ideas.

http://www.shibbitydoo.com/focaljoker/US-Muff-mod/

i was gonna do basstyras mod on mine, but when i got my russian muff, it kicked too much ass to eff with it, i lose very little, if any, bottom end, and its already True Bypassed. i'll probably make Moose's Paralooper for it for sh**'s and giggles

5. I assume that mod doesnt "lose" the true bypass on the NYC Big Muff?

Can anyone confirm this for me?

6. spidersbass

spidersbass

Nov 29, 2004
    Downtown L.A.
    yo Moose, quick question. is Basstyras Mod to the Muff basically your Paralooper built inside the muff?

7. spidersbass

spidersbass

Nov 29, 2004
    Downtown L.A.
    its still true bypass. i dont' think anyone would mod a pedal to get rid of its true bypass

8. is it true bypass? i thought muffs had to be modded in order to be true bypass?

9. I think the newer USA NYC BMF's are probably already true-bypass.

Basstyras' circuit is slightly different from the Paralooper. But, the concept is the same. Both probably work & sound about the same. :cool:

~ Charlie

10. spidersbass

spidersbass

Nov 29, 2004
    Downtown L.A.
    ALL NEW BIG MUFFS, ANY MODEL, RUSSIAN AND AMERICAN, ARE TRUE BYPASS