Big Muff NYC Mod Question

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by Pearl_jammin, Feb 6, 2005.

  1. Hi. I currently have the NYC version of the Big Muff.
    I don't use it that much anymore, I recently got the DOD 250 which kinda takes its place on my board.

    However, for a while now I've thought about using it again, and have been considering putting it in a new, smaller, box. Also, I never use the tone control, so I would like to remove that part of the circuit, or at least put remove the tone knob from the new box.

    Basically, I either want to make a new Big Muff cicuit board that has a blend pot, and no tone control (tone always set at 0), or mod the original Big Muff circuit board I already have to remove the tone control and add a blend pot circuit.

    If anyone has any advice or maybe even a schem if someone can, I would appreciate it.
  2. tplyons


    Apr 6, 2003
    Madison, NJ
    Well I assume you've opened it up. The pots can be removed, but realize that removing a potentiometer (variable resistor) will change it's tone unless you put in a fixed resistor in it's place (the same value of the tone pot when in your favorite position - can be measured with a multimeter) and you'll need to find a box to fit the circuit board (might be a problem because it's long and skinny...don't think it'll fit into any readily available Hammond boxes)

    Your best bet is probably to leave it in the current box, and try building a clone from and sell what you have.
  3. Thanks for your advice.
    I have a box already thats the right size. It's not a Hammond but its nice and sturdy.

    For the pot, there are three holes for each leg, if I were to replace this pot with a fixed resisted, which holes would the two legs go in?

  4. tplyons


    Apr 6, 2003
    Madison, NJ
    Not 100% sure, gotta take a look at a schematic. I'll get ack do you on the fixed resistor.