big muff on bass?

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by darkenraja, Feb 17, 2005.

1. Im sort of confused....looking around, there doesnt seem to be a big muff built specifically for bass.

If i go out now and buy a Big Muff Pi, will it work through bass? Im assuming its a pedal built for both guitar and bass.
  2. Adam Barkley

Adam Barkley Mayday!

Aug 26, 2003
    Jackson, MS
    Yes it will work. Most pedals will function decently with either but I've found that some bass distortions sound muddy on git; while git distortions can sound thin or fake are extreme settings. YMMV.

Try before you buy one though; if you are expecting an overdrive, you will be disappointed as the Big Muff is full-on fuzz in damn near every setting. Extremely fast passages can get "lost" really quickly if you don't have good muting skills. If you want an extreme fuzz that is great for fast passages I would recommend a Depth Charge.

If you don't crank the tone or sustain knobs you should keep 100% of your lows.

Hope that helped a little,
  3. thesmallprint

Jan 4, 2005
    i have the russian one, i was told by (just about) everyone that it was better for bass and its cheaper so yeh...and it rocks...and the muse bassist uses it...and so do get this is not some form of subliminal i dont work for ehx either...seriously i it justs sounds like i do...damn
  4. lol.

Yeah, I use one too. sounds great with my setup, though its a no compromise pedal. THATS what it does... it isnt versatile at all, but, thats why I also have an ME50b, that takes care of the versatility aspect of things...
  5. protoz

Nov 30, 2000
    I'll have my Green Russian Big Muff from Samash by Next Wed so I'll let you know how it goes.
  6. awesome! im looking forward to it ;)
  7. big muff+bass=mud

your question answered
  8. for me it's just a nasty sounding pedal. no real big roar, too much bass coming through (that's right i said too much) and all my playing just gets layered over with fuzz that i can't really define notes through
  9. Adam Barkley

Adam Barkley Mayday!

Aug 26, 2003
    Jackson, MS
    Well, it is a fuzz. :D And an extreme one at that. :D

If you want a "roar", try an overdrive; my personal favorites are the Hao Rust Ride and the BJF Blueberry. Both can go from slightly overdriven to slightly extreme at settings.

The only true fuzz I have played so far that has enough clairity for fast passages is the PE Depth Charge, mainly because it has a blend knob.