big muff or boss bass overdrive?

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by grindmore, Jun 30, 2002.

1. grindmore

Jun 21, 2002
    i play in a prog/noise grindcore band and i am looking for something to add a little dirt to my tone once in while. i have used an old big muff and i like the sound but someone recommended the boss bass overdrive to me. any suggestions?
  2. the boss ODB-3 is a nice overdrive pedal indeed.. it can go from a mild rumble to brute sawchain..

it has VERY sensitive gain button, and godzilla gain... so the slightest turn has huge difference.

because it has so much gain, it tends to go fuzz-like very fast. but if you have a little patience and smooth fingermovement, you can even set it to very pleasant jazz-overdrive.

I've had serveral overdrive pedals, but in the end i just had to have my ODB-3 back.. i like it.. nee.. i love it !

for a demo :
  3. DanGouge

May 25, 2000
    The ODB-3 and the Big Muff are very different pedals tonewise. An overdirve pedal will always sound cleaner than a fuzz, but both tones can be useful. It all depends on your situation. If you like the ODB-3 I would say go get it, but hold on to your Big Muff at the same time if you can. Since they are very different sounds and it might be beneficial to have both at your disposal.
  4. The first pedal I ever bought was the Boss bass OD pedal. The reason I bought it was becuase I wanted to learn to play Anestesia by Cliff Burton and that pedal can absolutely NAIL that sound. Eventually, I discovered that it worked for a lot of other things too. It's VERY versatile. Currently, I use it in my band for a volume pedal to give me that extra boost when I need it. But, in one of our songs, I turn both the gain and the tone knobs all the way up and boost the bass tone using the pedal's built in high and low EQ and I get some of the thickest distortion I've ever heard in a bass distorion effect, but I can still distinguish clearly between different notes, as opposed to some pedals where you just kindof hear this fuzzy, static like sound. It's a great pedal. I'd recommend that you buy it as soon as possible. But like DanGouge said, hold on to your Big Muff too, becuase they DO produce very different sounds.
  5. grindmore

Jun 21, 2002
    thanks, i am going to bring my head over to the store and go wild in a demo room this week. my band in writing new material in august, so i want to know what i can create before then.
  6. I'd suggest a Nobels ODR-B Bass overdrive
  7. Nick man

Nick man

Apr 7, 2002
    Tampa Bay
    I really hate my Boss bass overdrive, but I love my ProCo Brat, comonly know as Roadkill distortion.

It was free when my brother bought his amp and can be found for about 5 bucks, but with careful setting, it can sound great for bass.

8. the low one

the low one

Feb 21, 2002
    I would only use the Big Muff if I was running 2 rigs, one with effects and one without. That way you wouldn't kill your tone.

The BOSS ODB3 is so user friendly and keeps the bottom end whilst adding bite on top.
  9. DanGouge

May 25, 2000
    Or you could split your signal with a A/B/Y box and then blend back those tones with a Raven Labs box (I forget which one does this). A lot cheaper than two distinct rigs.
  10. or a boss ls-2 thats cheaper i think
  11. it can be wired to true bypass rather easily ive heard..
  12. Tecx

Tecx Radio Rock Leads To Sterility

Jun 9, 2002
    Halifax, NS, Canada
    Get a ProCo RAT II or RAT I, it is absolutly the best sound for grindcore bass!.. You will not be let down!

Alex ;)
  13. Simplest answer to the original question: Get a Boss PW-10 modeling wah pedal. It has 7 distotion/fuzz models including Boss and Muff, which are independently-footswitchable and can be with or without the wah as well. Moreover, the pedal has 3 memories and a manual setting so you can get the best of both distortions, plus wah and synth-bass sounds for about $150 new. There are other threads that deal more with the wah question but have more info on the PW-10. I have only had mine a week and am still in the tweaking stage, but I would absolutely recommend this as a "first" pedal to any young rock-oriented bassist because of its wide sonic palette. Of course, one would still need a dedicated dynamic filter (auto-wah), octaver, chorus/flanger and if need be, EQ pedal to really run the gamut of bass FX, but the PW-10 sounds like the answer here if you are able to do a little horse trading. Best wishes.
  14. Winston TK

Winston TK Hairpiece Adventurer

Oct 8, 2001
    Burnaby, BC Canada
    I find it interesting here how many people have great things to say about the Boss Bass Overdrive.

I personally find it rather disappointing. There is a definite "plastic-y" sound to the thing. The organic grit factor is pretty low here.

I most strongly second Tecx's recommendation for the ProCo Rat pedals. There are a few out there now, but the best is still the original. If you can, you owe it to yourself to try and get your hands on the original Rat distoration pedal and give it a try.

Of course, depending on the type of "grind" that you are looking for, the Boss might really be the ticket. In my opinion, it just seems very artificial sounding. It certainly IS beefy, though. The EQ is very useful.
  15. Jontom

Mar 11, 2002
    New York
    Fulltone Bassdrive-True bypass, 2 channels, clean boost...nicey.
  16. I've tried the rat and the muff...hated the rat,loved the muff..however, the muff (and all other bass dist.\OD\fuzz pedals)should have the blend control that the Boss has.that is the the main feature that sold me on the Boss.the problem that I have with the rat and the muff is that they suck out ALL the low end,which is something I can not time I ran the muff and a clean signal to two amps and it was awsome!.now if they added a blend control to the muff.....well that would be the last word said in dist. pedals.if you know a good tech they could modify your muff for you ;)