Big Muff or ODB-3?

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by BassMan66, Nov 30, 2003.

1. BassMan66

Aug 16, 2003
    Hey guys I'm thinking of getting a distortion pedal for my bass and have heard some pretty good things about both the EH Big Muff Pi and the Boss ODB-3. I was wondering how they compare to each other, because I've pretty much narrowed it down between these two pedals. Also, is one more suited for a certain type of music than the other?
  2. the low one

the low one

Feb 21, 2002
    Well I owned a Big Muff and it's a good distortion but I sold it and bought a ODB3.
    The Big Muff was a bit of an animal and took over the sound a bit too much. I also didn't like the way it affected the level of the sound even when turned off.
    The ODB3 on the other hand has the balance knob which allows you to run it at as high a gain as you like, but keeps most of the origial tone in the mix if that's what you want.
    Also, the Big Muff only has a single tone control where as the OB3 has seperate bass and treble.
  3. tplyons

Apr 6, 2003
    Madison, NJ
    Tim's here to recommend the Big Muff!

Yeah, I'm a Muff lover :p but there's reason. I had the ODB-3 in the past and it wasn't too bad, but it got a bit muddy. However, the way the Big Muff reacts to my Stingray is amazing! However, my Ibanez and EMG loaded P-bass unfortunately don't react so well with the beast. Probably has something to do with the preamp or something.

Anyway, the ODB is more consistent sounding with more than one bass, however I find it's tone to be much MUCH more harsh. Some argue that the Big Muff doesn't send enough bass to the output...easy fix. Only costs $0.39 and a few minutes of your time too.
  4. Nick Gann

Nick Gann Talkbass' Tubist in Residence

Mar 24, 2002
    Silver Spring, MD
    Muff all the way! I love mine.
  5. Ditto!

Muff Ownz J00!
  6. For metal, the ODB-3 ownz the Muff. It can get quite muddy if the bass, balance and gain are up high, but the two-band EQ is useful.

The Muff is softer sounding, and as such is more versatile.
  7. Eric Moesle

Eric Moesle Supporting Member

Sep 21, 2001
    Columbus OH
    Both of them suck some low end out of your tone even when disengaged. If you insist on using one in your signal chain, I suggest getting a true-bypass looping switch, like the ones at (no affiliation, I have a different brand of bypass switch that's no longer made).

Personally, I'd forget each of these and get a Tech 21 Tri A.C. Very versatile, great tone, and will do a few different presets available at the press of the switch.
  8. tplyons

Apr 6, 2003
    Madison, NJ
    I'm actually in the process of figuring out a way to do true bybass mods on Big Muffs. Though I can currently crank a bit more bass out of them than usual :)
  9. I have been seriously wondering about one of them, 'specially now I know I can get my hands on one.

From what I've read, it sounds very much like it does older, kinda tubey distortions - can it do the harsher sounds, like the ODB-3?