Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Big Muff Owners/Tech Q

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by smo, Dec 29, 2005.

1. Hi All,

Here's a pic of my newly finished pedal board and power source;
    [​IMG]

But i have a problem - everything works fine on the power - EXCEPT the Big Muff. :crying: My Muff has only a battery snap connection, so i tried connecting a battery snap connector from the power source and it trips the whole thing out (like a short circuit would). So i rechecked it with a multimeter 3 or 4 times with no problems, so gave up and re-wired it again (and again and again :mad: ) Still no luck. I know for a fact there is no short going on, but I'm at an end to explain it.......
    So currently, all pedals are linked up to the power, with the Big Muff on battery.

Any thoughts?
    Anyone experienced this before?
    Help! :help:

Thanks in advance fella's
    smo

2. tplyons

tplyons

Apr 6, 2003
    Madison, NJ
    Happened when I built an A/B switch for a friend. Could never figure it out.

3. Could this be a problem with the Muff? Or would it more likely be a prob with using the battery snap VS proper male-type 2.1mm connector? :help:

4. tplyons

tplyons

Apr 6, 2003
    Madison, NJ
    Not too sure, maybe there's an electronic engineer floating aroudn this forum somewhere...

5. bassman314

bassman314 I seem to be a verb, an evolutionary process... Gold Supporting Member

Mar 13, 2005
    Bay Area, CA
    did you try reversing the leads on the snap terminal coming from your Power Supply?

I made a similar connector when I was using my TU-2 to power pedals, and needed to power an Old DOD pedal.

6. JimmyM

JimmyM Supporting Member

Apr 11, 2005
    Apopka, FL
    Endorsing: Ampeg Amps, EMG Pickups
    Ya, if I'm not mistaken, aren't the polarities on EH products reverse of most other products?

7. eots

eots

Dec 18, 2004
    Morris, IL.
    Some pedals don't like unregulated power supplies. Nothing but a battery can produce pure dc power. I had the same problem with a DOD flanger pedal. Then I tried a switching power supply and now it works fine.
    I noticed yours looks like some home brewed version????
    It's possible it may be under powered. The Big muff may require a higher minimum voltage to work if perhaps the total load is pulling down the supply voltage. Does the big muff work on it's own? Try removing the other pedals from the supply and input chain. Also check for correct polarity.

8. syciprider

syciprider Banned

May 27, 2005
    Inland Empire
    Buy a US BM. Problem solved. Man I'm gud :bassist: .

9. Tired_Thumb

Tired_Thumb Guest

Another thought to consider, is the current closed or is it grounding itself out on the metal encasing? Either way, let us know how you do. I have the identical Russian Muff that I'd like to attach to an external power supply.

10. Hookus

Hookus

Oct 2, 2005
    Austin, TX
    I just bought rechargeable 9 volt batteries.

11. Just yesterday I spoke to my guitarist - who also has a black russian big muff - a little diff. cosmetically, but sound the same.
    He had the same prob all this time too!
    We had a brain storm and came up with a big fat DUNNO! :scowl:
    This is what worries me - this guy is an electronics wiz, if he can't figure it out, there's really something screwy going on.
    And grounding on the metal casing? Hadn't thought of that one - I'll have a look.

My transformer is definitely a wound, regulated - those unregulated power supplies or transistor ps's are noisy as hell. I've got way more than enough power/current too.
    The big muff doesn't work on it's own either BTW.
    I'll try reversing the polarities - even tho the multimeter tests out the leads as the right way round. I'll let you know how I go.

Thanks again fella's,
    oh and;
    HAPPY NEW YEAR
    smo

12. I'd just save the headache and get the USA Muff.

13. He he he - thats just a tad lazy......but i'm sure it would work :)

WOOOOOOOO HHHOOOOOOOOOOO
    It works It works It works!!!!!

And the winner is - reverse polarity.
    Thanks a whole heap bassman 314 and Jimmy - and thanks to everyone for your input.
    WOOooooo HOOOOO!!!

14. bassman314

bassman314 I seem to be a verb, an evolutionary process... Gold Supporting Member

Mar 13, 2005
    Bay Area, CA
    Way to go!

Me and Jimmy are high-5ing and $#!T...

15. Hookus

Hookus

Oct 2, 2005
    Austin, TX
    So, even if you use a phone plug, you need the hot lead on the outside, and the ground on the inside?

16. tplyons

tplyons

Apr 6, 2003
    Madison, NJ
    Bad idea in effects. They don't put out the same kind of voltage and usually the voltage drops suddenly when they die without warning time. Alkaline batteries decline slowly.

Stick with Alkaline batteries.

17. bassman314

Mar 13, 2005
    Bay Area, CA
    Our church has 8 wireless lavelier microphones and 5 wireless hand-held microphones. All of them work fairly well as long as the battery remains above 8.2 volts. As soon as the voltage drops below 8.2, the operation is erratic. We end up having to replace them about every 2-3 weeks.

We looked into rechargeables of various types, and all of the '9 volt' type rechargeables never go over 8.5 volts. We looked at NiCad, NiMH, and even Rechargable Alkalines. None of them were going to be cost effective. That last 8.5 to 8.2 volt drop is fast. Then therer's always the risk of battery memory.

Nothing fit the bill like one-time use Alkalines.

For pedals, it's batteries, or a power supply.

18. For the power;
    On all the BOSS pedals - the neg is on the inside/tip, and the pos. is on the shaft/outside.
    My dunlop was the same.
    However the bigmuff was the opposite - even to what the battery was! ? :eyebrow: ?

I didn't ground any of the pedals, as my transformer didn't have a ground prong - however - i wouldn't think this would matter as these pedals all ground through the instrument leads. I'm not 100% on this, but i've no probs with my home-made pedal boards over the last 5 or 6 years.

19. I agree on the battery thing - go alkalines for sure.
    But i always thought that NiMH didn't suffer from battery memory at all - wasn't that just a NiCad thing? Is this right?

20. Hookus

Hookus

Oct 2, 2005
    Austin, TX
    NiMH does not have a memory.

The whole phone plug thing makes sense now. I know someone who made an adapter from the Boss type plug to a phone plug for his BM, and it did not work.

Since the outside of the phone jack on the muff is a common ground with the chassis of the pedal, he was grounding out his power. It is not the muff that is backwards, it is the Boss!

Makes perfect sense now.