big muff pedal and active pickups?

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by hawk92, Apr 11, 2012.

1. hawk92

hawk92 Guest

Feb 16, 2012
    I was checking out youtube demo's for the electro harmonix big muff fuzz pedals and all the basses were passive I have active emg's in my bass and I was wondering how it would sound with a bass with active pickups anybody here have this combo or tried it and what do you think of it? Thanks!

2. I've owned many Big-Muffs and clones over the years, and I predominantly play active basses. It is a bit more compressed than with a passive, but overall I'd say it sounds great.

3. mmbongo

mmbongo I have too many basses. Supporting Member

yep, sounds good. EHX (and TC Electronics) are some of the few pedals I've tried that don't have any problems with high output active pickups.

4. hawk92

hawk92 Guest

Feb 16, 2012
    Thanks for the input guys I think I'm going to try one soon maybe this weekend I've tried mulit effect pedals and always felt they didn't sound good with the active electronics appreciate the help!

5. Isaac_Bear

Isaac_Bear Guest

Apr 6, 2012
    Sacramento California
    Man those pedals are beefy! Electro Harmonics are cool. I use a Q tron plus in this song if you want to hear it Isaac Bear, The Factory - YouTube I have a sans amp para driver I use in a song on our bandcamp called "No Chaser" It adds a pretty fat low tone>it's supposed to be a tube amp sim pedal...haha I payes way too much for it though. How much are the big muff's?

6. crm261

crm261 Guest

Feb 4, 2012
    Have always hated fuzz with actives.

Yet to try it, but I bet I don't even like my FEA Photon with an active bass...

7. hawk92

hawk92 Guest

Feb 16, 2012
    The big muffs go for about 83$ new, I liked the tone you had in the link, had lots of balls and still sounded like a bass, I dont' like when it's so distored it start to sound like a guitar I prefer to keep the bottom in the tone I was hoping actives with the muff won't lose that.

8. crashonskis

crashonskis Guest

Jan 11, 2012
    Cranbrook, BC, Canada
    Yeah chis wolstenholme plays it..... I think he plays actives....

9. hawk92

hawk92 Guest

Feb 16, 2012
    Thanks Crash, didn't know who he was until just now I just checked him out and he uses pedulla rapture basses which have actives and uses the russian big muff then I checked him out on youtube he had good tone at least from what I can tell on my cpu speakers. It was interesting to check out though Thanks

10. Fuzzbassian

Fuzzbassian Guest

Jan 12, 2012
    I'm going to buck the trend here and I say,I think actives in big muffs sound absolutely terrible.But give it a go anyway.

11. CptRevell

CptRevell

Aug 15, 2011
    Maryland
    I will say they work with actives (I have a grey stache, which is similar), but I much prefer the sound with passives. Makes things annoying when playing about.

12. thebass905

thebass905

Jun 7, 2011
    I agree that there is definitely a different tone in active basses, but no by any means poor or unusable. The only thing I'd be careful of is the bass big muff, which loses its fuzzy edge with a boosted signal. with the eq flat, it sounds fine! But If I push anything a lot, the sound loses its edge and sounds awful. (I use a MM Stingray by the way) Every other muff I've tried doesn't have that issue.... But that's just my ears

13. Since the bass big muff is splitting the signal before the distortion circuit, isn't the signal going into the Big Muff buffered already? I mean, unless you use passive splitting, you have to buffer the signal before you split it, right?

If this is true, what matters is how loud your pickups are, and not if they're active or passive (only for the BBM).

14. thebass905

thebass905

Jun 7, 2011
    You sir, are probably correct, I have only noticed this issue with active basses, but that would explain why! You must forgive my ignorance.

15. Toastfuzz

Toastfuzz

Jul 20, 2007
    Pittsburgh, PA
    I personally prefer the sound of a passive P pickup to drive any fuzz pedals, but I use active basses for different bands and use them with fuzz (and Muffs) as well. I'd recommend if your bass has a 3-band EQ, turning the Treble down to zero and leaving Mid and Bass flat, and start from there.

Part of why I prefer passives is the single passive tone control knob is great for sweeping through the range of a fuzz pedal and making quick adjustments on the fly. Harder to do with a 3-band EQ.

16. SGbassist

SGbassist

Jan 3, 2012
    Yup. I'm using a Sterling ray34 into a Russian muff. Works perfectly. Padding the output before the muff just creates.. Not enough fuzz.

17. hawk92

hawk92 Guest

Feb 16, 2012
    actually I have a steinberger transtrem with active emg's two tone controls bass and treble I still have not purchased the muff yet but the input here has been very interesting, I would not have thought to flatten my sound until I read some of these ideas.

18. Plucky The Bassist

Plucky The Bassist Istanbul...not Constantinople Supporting Member

Jul 30, 2010
    Tejas
    He's had a balanced mix in the past, but he's on Pedullas exclusively now IIRC. I'm pretty sure the albums before Showbiz had a solid set of passives in there, since the J-bass was one of his go-to basses.

to the OP's question, it just depends on the pedal. The overcompressed sound of the big muffs with an active bass for me didn't react quick enough to the lines I wanted to use it on, so you may or may not like actives with a muff or fuzzes in general. This can be easily solved by taking down the volume on the bass and adjusting the rest of your signal chain accordingly. I recommend asking a buddy who has one to let you try it with your gear and rig before buying one. If you can't do that, try a local guitar store that will let you test drive the pedal in-store with your bass before you commit to buy.

19. hawk92

hawk92 Guest

Feb 16, 2012
    So I picked the pi fuzz muff pedal and it does sound decent with the active pickups I just like a touch of fuzz to give it bite The settings have a wide range and I am using it on minimal. So far I am pleased with the purchase just wanted to say thanks for all the input!