Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Big Muff Pedal, Distortion in general hurting my cabs?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Dan T., Oct 11, 2005.

1. Dan T.

Dan T.

May 9, 2005
    Minneapolis
    i'm curious, i got a really good deal on a usa big muff pedal but i'm afraid to turn it up loud as i'm worried about hurting the speakers in my ampeg 810, i'm running an older model svt4 head.

is this going to hurt my speakers? at any rate i got it just for fun and something to goof around with. thanks for any advice...

2. protoz

protoz

Nov 30, 2000
    Iowa
    Nope you should be good to go until you hear your cab farting out which sounds different than the fuzz. I crank my Big Muff all the time at home and my cabs are just fine

3. Dan T.

Dan T.

May 9, 2005
    Minneapolis
    thanks man, i appreciate it.

4. If you don't have tweeters, you don't have any additional worries beyond the normal 1000 watt amp driving 200w speakers. If your amp is rated close to your cab, no more than a little over the cab rating you're fine.

Randy

5. Hello..
    similar question:
    can extreme distortion damage a tweeter of a bass cab when it is on?
    I know the ampeg 810 hasn't got one, but my swr cab has.
    thanks!!

6. Depends. Fuzz has more hi freq content, the tweeter power handling was chosen based on a clean bass sound, much less hi freq energy.

The louder you play, with more fuzz, as you approach the power handling of the cab, your risk increases. You could probably blow the tweeter with a 300W amp driving a 350 watt cab, so you are NOT safe just because your amp can't "overpower" the speaker under normal circumstances. As you go with more power than the amp can handle, the risk increases. Having more amp power than the cab will handle is safer with a clean sound, you'll hear trouble as distortion. If you build in distortion into your sound, you could miss the warning signs.

How much risk? Who really knows. If your cab has the light bulb protection circuit, you'll know when your at that risky point, you'll see the bulb lighting up, back off the volume or amt of fuzz.

Randy