Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Big Muff Pi Help

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by B'Aces High, Oct 20, 2003.

1. I am looking for a distortion/fuzz for my bass needs and was trying to find some soundclips of someone using a Big Muff Pi with their bass. But couldnt find any.
    Can anyone post any?
    There were some at Musicians Friend...but i cant get them :(

Or what about the Boss ODB-3 ??? Ive hear clips of it...and it dont sound too far from what i want...but id like to hear the Pi for comparison.

Im currently using a Boss Hyperfuzz, but its just too much fuzz, and i find that it keeps cutting out on the D and G string.

Any Help Appreciated...Thanks.

2. Paging Dr. Tplyons, Dr. Tplyons to the front desk please.

3. Albini_Fan

Albini_Fan Banned

Jan 26, 2003
    Beneath Below
    Listen to the Rentals

4. jim primate

jim primate bass guitarist.

i have both and do not reccommend to odb-3. a big muff or a proco rat will do you better. problem is the bottom sort of drops out on both. a sansamp gives good overdrive, and i hear mixed reviews of the mxr bass d.i./dist.

5. tplyons

tplyons

Apr 6, 2003
    Madison, NJ
    I'll see if I can somehow record tonight. Sorry, I was out all weekend and finally just got a chance to settle down now. Well, I'll try to record later...any requests?

6. Nothing in particular, just something that gives me a good idea what id be looking at.
    Thank ya very much :)

7. Corwin81

Corwin81

Mar 18, 2003
    Ames, IA
    Bass solo...take 1

8. tplyons

tplyons

Apr 6, 2003
    Madison, NJ
    My thoughts exactly, I'm trying to find a cable I can use though!!! :confused:

9. Nick Gann

Nick Gann Talkbass' Tubist in Residence

Mar 24, 2002
    Silver Spring, MD
  10. i also need clips, can anyone help me?

11. BassGod

BassGod

Jan 21, 2004
    I just realized... It's pretty cool that he nailed that solo on his first take. I have nothing to add actually.

Graeme

P.S. I tried the Boss and found that it was noisy as hell, while I find my Big Muff Pi to be completely silent. It's a killer pedal. Also, the American one is true bypass, while the Boss sucks tone like a vaccuum in heat.

12. I think my russian may be true bypass, not sure. The battery was dead I mean GONE and still when the pedal off I had no loss of tone.

13. I would record some ... but it would be through my stock soundcard which isn't great for recording... so it might sound like trash........ not to mention, my playing would assuredly sound like trash :p tplyons will hook you up...

i love my muff :smug:

14. bass-shy

bass-shy

Jan 11, 2005
    Florida
    The biggest problem I have had with a Big Muff is a lack of definition. It is really great for slower riffs where you can let each note sustain a bit, but fast riffing always sounded like a wall of noise to me, i.e: no space to differentiate notes. I am speaking of a black Russian muff, though. The USA muff might be better. Also, the Russian muff I had had the worst bypass I have encountered. If you're looking for a sweet distortion for not much cash, check out a Tech 21 XXL.

15. SnoMan

SnoMan Words Words Words Supporting Member

Jan 27, 2001
    Charleston, WV
    You have to be very articulate with the muff. At least thats what I've found with it.

I also have a lot of trouble getting it to break through the mix in a band setting....makes sense though seeing that I'm playing with two high gain guitarists right now. Just gotta know what soundscape you're going to be working with while using it.

I dig the thing though.

I think I had TPlyons soundclips on this computer....I bought his(one of his) old ones. If I run across them I'll post em.

16. tplyons

tplyons

Apr 6, 2003
    Madison, NJ
    Luckilly this thread was responded too while I was home, just put the clips back on the 'net.

Which Muff of mine do you have? Any mods done to it or is it stock? Did it come with a wooden box or cardboard box or none? I'd be able to tell you what that Muff was like. (I never forget a Muff) :)

Mind you these are quick recordings, no longer am capable of recording
    Clean P-Bass - http://www.tplyons.com/sounds/cleanpbass.wav
    Big Muff - http://www.tplyons.com/sounds/bigmuff.wav

17. SnoMan

SnoMan Words Words Words Supporting Member

Jan 27, 2001
    Charleston, WV
    I too never forget a muff.

It's stock. Cardboard box. You totally ripped me off 'n all.

18. hyperlitem

hyperlitem Guest

Jul 25, 2001
    Indianapolis, IN
    The russian muff isnt true bypass im pretty sure, Its a simple enough mod though.

19. JUST TO CLEAR THINGS UP... THE NEW RUSSIAN MUFFS ARE TRUE BYPASS...... I REPEAT... THEY ARE TRUE BYPASS... AND THEY ARE THE SHIZZ... I REPEAT... THEY ARE THE SHIZZ... ALSO MY CAPS LOCK IS ON IF NO ONE HAS NOTICED.. THANK YOU FOR YOUR TIME... GOD BLESS YOU ALL

20. protoz

protoz

Nov 30, 2000
    Iowa
    I love my muff, but I haven't had a place in any of our songs to get much use out of it, I just like running over my own sludgy fuzz rock riffs and grooving out with that and a DOD250

The outputjack on my Muff is a little worn or I bumped it too hard and it occasionally freaks out but other than that it's my #2 pedal after my DOD250