1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Big muff pi issue

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by vyse933, Apr 13, 2006.

1. vyse933

vyse933

Mar 31, 2006
    Grand Haven, MI
    Alright so i recently went into a store and played the big muff pi through the fender 250 combo amp, a 2x10 with a horn. It sounded freaking amazing..i love the distorted sound..so unique..and i especially loved that i guess you call it fuzz..the crackling sound like theres a crushed soda can rattling inside the amp...the cutting just..ugh...amazing sound! haha..excuse my love of the sound. After this testing, i decided to buy the pedal. i played it through my 1x15 at home..and didn't like the sound at all..it didn't have the crackly popping thing i loved..so i reitred it untill i could get a different cab. So the otherday i got my new cab..and at my friends house (this was before breaking in the cab) i tested out the Muff...and it had that crackle sweet sound..but it was weak..and kept dieing out on me. Like i would hear the crackle and the sweet sound...but it would just kinda be weak then disapear..and sound like crap. i tried messing with the settings on the pedal to no avail. Any recomendations? i at first thought it was that i didn't have the 2x10 with the horn...but i don't think thats it cause the 4x10 with the horn doesn't sound good either. Help me..if you can

P.S. the sound i heard, if you need a reference..was like the bass sound for the song i disapear by the faint..except dirtier but brighter.

2. All distortions will sound slightly different run through a different piece of equipment. I had to adjust alot of my settings on my distortions when i got a new cab as they sounded farty.

I'd say the amp is probably causing the different tone. OR maybe something was wrong with the amp you played it through, or you were using an active in the shop and you play a passive, etc.

3. tplyons

tplyons

Apr 6, 2003
    Madison, NJ
    The Big Muff is a tempermental unit and changes drastically between amps. I try to keep my EQ and tone consistent just so I can use my Muff :)

4. Tedintheshed

Tedintheshed Banned

Oct 8, 2004
    Columbus, Ohio
    What tpylons says is true, so I have a couple of questions.

Did you play the same bass in the store as you have at home? if not, what were they?

A large factor in the Muff tone is what you feed into it. This not only includes the bass, but any efects you may have before it. (compression as an example)

5. Try tweaking the EQ. Perhaps the amp in the store had different settings than the one you own.

6. vyse933

vyse933

Mar 31, 2006
    Grand Haven, MI
    no, it was not the same bass. IN the store i first tried out an ibanez srx500...i believe it's called. and then i tried a fender U.S.A. P-bass. At home i use the ibanez soundgear 190 gio