Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Big Muff Pi or Pro co Rat?

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by Every1TookMyName, Aug 29, 2001.

1. Which one sounds better? How much bottem end is lost in either?

2. your going to lose a lot of low end on both... for around the same price i would go for the boss bass overdrive.

3. Well, I'm going to buy either used for about $40 bucks, so I'd rather some more exact preferences and experiences. :)

4. my bass playing friend owns a American made Big Muff, and it sounds horrible. FWIW he plays it through a cheapo squier, but i dont think that will affect the distortion sound that much.

i say go for the Pro co Rat

5. okay, thanks for the input.

and um... did his distortion pedal cost as much as his guitar? :confused:

6. nope.

he bought the pedal brand new for $80 (also the same price for the BOSS OBD-3, BTW) and he got the bass for like 150 used (its supposively one of those older "good" squiers, but i still think it sucks)

7. Muff is wall of sound fuzz crunchfest ... Rat is a zingy, overdriven, tight buzz .. more lead bass style I'm thinking, than the Muff (an ocean of rumble for the guitars to soak their tails in) .. what do you want?

8. Dino

Dino

Jan 9, 2002
    Cagliari - Italy
    I use a turbo rat, and it is very good, really a fist in your face. Its distortion is very fat. I also used the big muff (the black russian). It distorts too much in fuzz style, and gives you glassy tone. I prefere the rat, but your decision depends on what you are searching for.

9. I used to love my RAT. Probably best for singing, lead bass styles tho' w/ loads of sustain. I wonder If I could mod it with some sort of "blend" control....there's an idea.

10. i prefer the rat. it seems to be a little less muddy.

although they both have cool names!

11. Steven Green

Steven Green

Jul 25, 2001
    Pacific NW
    I've used the ODB-3, RAT, various Big Muffs...

The ODB-3 IMHO is horrible, But I really did like the fat crunch I got from my 2nd issue Big Muff. I recommend a 2nd or 3rd issue (made in 70's and early 80's) for the best sound.

I liked the ProCo Rat quite a lot as well. I think the rat is a slightly fatter sound, but the Big Muff has a better crunch.

If you really want balls and crunch, try maxing the gain on the Big Muff/Rat out and setting it to a crisp tone setting. Then run a Boss GEB-7 to boost the low end. It's insane!

...of course, this will cost a lot more than $40...

Russian-made = poo

12. I emailed AnalogMan (who does TS808/909 mods and such) about modding the Rat...unfortunately he didn't know of any mods...

A blend with a Rat would rock - I love mine with my Ric; a real mid-range snarl that kills small animals (gotta watch feedback i've found!).

It might not seem like it on stage but there's plenty of bass in the FOH when the Rat's engaged.

13. We need this. It can't be hard...? A quick DIY? There isn't much inside those things.

14. Amazing what you can do with a soldering iron and a bit o' elbow grease. I added a Q knob for that new parametric filter while I was at it.....what the hell.

[​IMG]

15. the *ideal* situation seems to me to be either a mod to the pedal to boost bass + allow for signal blending, or a distortion effects loop with an eq in the loop & a blend control. CHeck out the boss LS-2 line selector pedal .at harmony central ... i know i want one.

I tried a Big Muff yesterday for the first time (have only heard others with them before). My opinion is mixed - sounds cool, but drops a lot of bottom, which means you have to be louder to still be a bass, and I got a few glares from the guitarists. Definitely more crunch & less Bzz than the Rat. When a lot of distorted guitar stuff was going on the bass distortion blended into the guitars quite nicely, which I can't imagine to be the case with a Rat. They're both kinda cool, both have the same problem with loss of bottom end, but the rat has IMO more in-your-face buzzsaw distortion factor.

I'm a little afraid to run full-on distortion through my rig too, so I was using pretty tame settings. I had someone fry a channel in my fender BXR 200 head a couple years ago with a big muff (stupid beatch, but at least the head sucked anyway), and I don't fancy that deep bass frequencies with square waveforms are good for speakers. At *all*!!! Still. ..

I've noticed that I seem to write better stuff sometimes with distortion ... less wussy stuff .. and also the distortion sorta "stands in" for accompanying guitars, makes it feel less like a few lone deep notes and more like band music. Same could probably be said for lots of things though .. I think one of the better ways to use FX on bass is for inspiration when you're writing the music, rather than (necessarily) playing it .. for me anyway.

16. Mad Sub - you sure you didn't do that in Photoshop? if not - *nice work*.

17. The solder is still hot on this one pal...you want I should whip you one up too?

18. Dino

Dino

Jan 9, 2002
    Cagliari - Italy
    I also thought that the rat III was a Photoshop well done touching.....
    the 2 knobs (q and filter) are just in the same position as the distortion and blend ones.
    mmmmmmmmm........

19. Thanks for the props...
    Check this link out. He advertises adding a lowend boost trimpot for $50. Sounds like too much cash too me for something you could do yourself but worth a look anyhoo...
    http://www.curtislaur.com/repairs.html

20. IMO, what's the point of bass distortion then? Isn't the idea to get a rasp that cuts through the mix and gives girth to the proceedings, rather than a background filler that gets absorbed when the Triple Rectumfriers get turned up to 11?

:D

My distortion chain (a Rat II into a Crowther P&C) is nice and ferocious enough that when required it overthrows the guitars. Oh yeah. Who said bassists were just failed lead guitarists? :D :D