Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Big Muff Pi USA reissue

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by joshsmog, Sep 18, 2003.

1. i want to know how much hum this thing creates, cause i use a morley power wah and boss odb 3 and those 2 generate alot of hum but its mainly the odb 3 , who owns a big muff ? hopw much hum does it create?

2. tplyons

tplyons

Apr 6, 2003
    Madison, NJ
    Hmm, you own a Morley Power Wah Boost, you want a Ric and you're looking at a Big Muff. Metallica fan eh? :D

The Big Muff doesn't create too much hum. I run a similar setup and the BMP NYC RI is actually one of my quieter pedals. I love it.

3. i knew you were gonna reply :p yeah im a metallica fan i love that tone that cliff gets.
    thanks for the info i got a noisegate in the mail too so i was just wondering if i would need it, not alot of room on the pedal board for much else after the power wah and big muff!

4. tplyons

tplyons

Apr 6, 2003
    Madison, NJ
    Hey...how'd you know I'd reply? :p

Yeah, Cliff gets a great tone, and I come close without copying it. I use a different Morley wah (mainly because I don't feel like plugging the PWB into a wall) but the Big Muff is great, I swear by it. But I keep something in my bag for a crisper tone just in case.

Yeah, my pedalboard is packed...two Morleys (Pro Series Volume and Pro Series II Bass Wah) and a hotrodded Big Muff. And I got room on the end for one more BOSS sized pedal. Need to upgrade the board, buying too many broken ones :p

My hotrodded Muff:
    [​IMG]

5. looks cool, i think ill have to make antoher pedal board cause i kinda want a chorus too, have you tried any good choruses lately? i have a sound tank ibanez chorus but it sucks.

i aslo knew youd reply cause you said you had a muff and i saw that your a metallica fan :p not a whole lot of metallica fans on here :(

6. is that tape there to mark your tone settings? neat idea, i always forget my perfect settings :mad:

7. tplyons

tplyons

Apr 6, 2003
    Madison, NJ
    Yep, that's exactly what it's for. I stole the idea from someone, just like I taped the backs of my necks with electrical tape so you could both feel and see the fret markers on a dark stage. I'm always looking for ideas to steal. :p

Sorry to say I haven't played a good chorus lately, but my new favorite toy is a Vintage 1977 Electro Harmonix Doctor Q Envelope Follower. I bought it "broken" for $25, replaced one part and it's as good as new and sounds even better.

8. hehe, oh and i have another question, do you run your distortion before or after the wah. i get the best cliff style tone running the wah before the distortion.

9. Corwin81

Corwin81

Mar 18, 2003
    Ames, IA
    I use a Morley PWA wah after a Danelectro French Toast Octave/Distortion(octave off) for the Cliff/Jason sound. I know the Dano is a far cry from the Big Muff, but the sound comes close in a live setting. I'd like to have a Muff, but I have a feeling I'd only use it for "For Whom the Bell Tolls" and "Anesthesia(Pulling Teeth)"(I only know a little bit of that). Any other Metallica songs use a muff? I prefer the overdrive that Jason gets on Devil's Dance though. Probably from his SABDDI.

10. seek and destroy uses it for the little fills on the chorus, i find it hard turning all the pedals on and off in time to do that part though :p

11. tplyons

tplyons

Apr 6, 2003
    Madison, NJ
    Definately before, if you use it after, the wah will boost certain frequencies changing your tone constantly throughout the sweep. Jason and Cliff both ran thier Big Muff into their Morley PWB.

12. oh ok, i tried like that and it sounded synth style. thanks ill have to mess around with some settings and switch them around.