1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to post, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Big Muff Pi

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by dirk, Oct 18, 2001.

1. dirk

dirk

Apr 6, 2000
    Memphis, TN
    Guys,
    I got the EH Big Muff Pi today and so far it's very cool. I like for just doodling around with different licks at home and stuff, but I took it to band practice tonight and actually found some cool stuff I can play in our songs with it. Just out of curiosity, what are some settings other owners use?

Dirk

2. ok i basically got the same question: what settings do you use?

just got my muff yesterday, the green sovtek one. everybody here mentions the "sustain" button on the EH reissue, i dont have a sustain but distortion knob, is it the same?

oh and btw, as long as i plug a line in the input it consumes battery right? if i only have it connected to amp, but the input jack is empty it does not consume battery right?

3. I also have the green muff... I like to run it with just a bit of distortion. I've found if the distortion is up too high everything gets a bit muddy. Just my two cents.

4. if i pull out input jack it stops eating energy right?

5. correct.

6. tplyons

tplyons

Apr 6, 2003
    Madison, NJ
    I leave the sustain at about 4:00
    I leave the tone at about 4:00
    I leave the little red light on
    And I play bass :D

7. 7thguest

7thguest

Jun 27, 2003
    Since both russian (the black with yellow paints)and the nyc (reissue) have distinctive sounds (anyway, I always have tone at 12h, flat), when I use the nyc, I'm looking for a warm overdrive, I use the drive at only 9h, sometimes I go for a 12h (for a sounding like a guitar playing smashing pumpkins songs as today or thru the eyes of ruby, hello kitty kat), or a 1h:30m not more since it starts sounding nothing like a bass due to too much fuzz and compression. When I'm on the russian (less compressed, more open and dirt, no extreme fuzz) I like to use it at 3h to get an harsh sound when I want to play fun stuff as MayheM (from deathcrush)or Nirvana's Breed (it's a rat2, but I can't get the same sound from my turbo rat). For what matters, I'm on a 1x15", p+j soundgear bass. If I want some very light uncompressed dirt/grit (whatever you call it) even the russian won't work for me, I'll use a turbo rat at 9h then.