Big Muff pi ?

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by AllodoX, Jun 19, 2002.

1. How would you describe the sound of a big muff pi with a bass ?

- does it preserve the lows good ?
    - what effect to the buttons have ?
    - what kind of music is it suitable for ?

can anyone enlighten me ?

perhaps even a recording ?? :)
  2. sorry i do not own one but i have fooled around with my buddys...
    its fuzz plain and simple
    it does NOT perserve your lows very well and i persoanlyl think that its a bit too extreme to be very useful for most people. i was contemplating getting one because i wanted a fuzz but i just decided that ym boss odb-3 did that well enough.
    I have heard it can be modified rather easily for bass though.
    oh one last thing... the bypass is TERRIBLE and really screws up your tone when its off.
  3. I have it, with the tone straight up (i think its like bypassing it) and the *sustained* maxed, it sounds like poo

Turn the *tone* know to the left (more bass) and turn the sustain down *still fuzzed out, but not as much*, it sounds good. It's not true bypass, but I hear its an easy mod to do, Ive been wanting to do that, but I still dunno how (but thats a totally different thread)

Try it, you might like it, I do.
  4. BFunk

BFunk Supporting Member

It BOOSTS the low-end! That has certainly been my experience. I would usually have the tone set about 10 o'clock, and the sustain around 7 o'clock. There is a definite boost around 100 Hz. The fuzz sound is very thick and muffled. Sounds best using a single coil pickup in the bridge position.
  5. jelloyacket

jelloyacket bass > guitar

Jun 14, 2002
    McMurray, PA
    I like mine...
    to add fuzz, turn sustain almost off, with tone centered; turn sustain up if you're strumming the higher strings guitar-style.
  6. the low one

the low one

Feb 21, 2002
    the bypass is TERRIBLE and really screws up your tone when its off.

I agree with that. The fuzz was good but I took mine back due to the way it messed up my sound when turned off and swapped it for a BOSS ODB3
  7. DaveBeny

Mar 22, 2000
    London, UK
    Off the top of my head, a good example of the Big Muff bass sound is 'Song For The Dumped' by Ben Folds Five.
  8. pudgefactor

Mar 28, 2002
    IMO, it looses the low end. Not as bad as some other distortions do, but it's noticable. It's not
    very versatile either, it just gets one sound with some tone control. No use as an overdrive, just
    distortion. The distortion is pretty good and the sustain is excellent.
  9. Paul A

Paul A

Dec 13, 1999
    Hertfordshire U.K!
    Here's the schematic for the big muff with suggested modifications.
    With these mods it sounds WAY better with bass.
    You might want to download this as well (It'll cost 7 dollars though!)
  10. barroso

Aug 16, 2000
    Allodox i used the big muff a lot with bass and it's the greatest overdrive ditortion pedal i ever tried after the H&K tubeman i use now. the trick is to twist the know a little. the big muff infact changes drastically from distrortion to fuzz. if you use it in a correct way with a little of volume, half of the sustain and a little of tone knob open you'll have a GREAT sound fir bass, trust me. i sold mine because it was a '70 original unit and i found a crazy guy who wanted it so bad that offered me a lot of money. i'd love to buy one of these new american RI they are around 100€ here in italy. but begore i have to buy an octave multiplexer. i higly suggest you to try this monster pedal.

11. Josh Ryan

Josh Ryan - that dog won't hunt, Monsignor. Staff Member Supporting Member

Mar 24, 2001
    Hey Allodox, I have one. The untrue bypass colours the sound like mad, but the tone is excellent, IMO. You can hear it on my website, the mp3 called slow.
  12. Supertoast

Supertoast Guest

Jun 20, 2002
    Cliff Burton used one
  13. Well I hope thats not the distortion he used on Anesthesia because that sounded like poo IMO... but then again i can't stand the wah on it or the actual playing itself either....
  14. Johnalex

Jul 20, 2001
    South Carolina
    I just picked up a Big Muff. Mine is extremely is all green and really beat up. I paid $50 for it at a pawn shop. I love it. Actualy watching Ben FOlds Five made me want to get one. The sound is raunchey and nasty...I love it. The only problem I have with it is that it can get a little bright and use in moderation.

Hey much did that original one sell for?...I think mine is an original.
  15. barroso

Aug 16, 2000
    if yours it's greeen it couls be a russian made. mine was a '70 unit that i sold for 300$ to a collector