Big Muff Problems

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by Connormac123456, Aug 21, 2013.

1. So today I was trying out a regular-old beat-up NYC Big Muff in a pawn shop today and the sound was pretty rockin'. So I pulled the plug and bought it for 60 bucks, and it's sounding gnarly... But only when the pedal is on.
    The problem I'm having is when I hit the switch to turn the pedal off, no sound comes out of my amp. I turn it back on, sound coming from pedal, fuzzy goodness, turn it off, still no amp. And only when I partially depress the pedal to turn it off do I ever get to hear my clean tone.
    I got my buddy to try and clean the switch, to no avail. Should I replace the switch all together or is there another option? A possible important note is that this muff has definitely seen better days and some rockin' gigs because it's pretty scratched up.
    All suggestions appreciated!

2. Jhansbass

Jhansbass

Aug 21, 2013
    Covina, CA
    well I'm not much of a technician when it comes to pedals, but if you really needed to and you didnt want to buy a new big muff then what you could do is just put an A-Y Box on it and you can use one signal stream for when you need your clean tone and then switch to the other signal when you want the big muff sound

3. JimmyM

JimmyM

Apr 11, 2005
    Apopka, FL
    Endorsing: Yamaha, Ampeg, Line 6, EMG
    EH will fix broken pedals for like $25. They fixed my broken Micro Pog recently. They won't touch really old pedals like my Deluxe Electric Mistress but they'll fix stuff they've made in recent years.

4. Would they fix it if it was a previously-owned pedal? I did get it from a pawn shop.

5. Its sounds like something a local amp/electronic tech may be able to fix.

6. man... there has to be a dirty joke in this somewhere.

7. JimmyM

JimmyM

Apr 11, 2005
    Apopka, FL
    Endorsing: Yamaha, Ampeg, Line 6, EMG
    Yes. I got mine used as well.

8. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Jun 18, 2021