Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Big Muff Questions

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by Petary791, Apr 2, 2005.

1. Petary791

Petary791

Feb 20, 2005
    Michigan, USA
    So I went to Guitar Center, and I asked to look at the Big Muffs. I looked at the Russian and American. The first thing I noticed is that the Russian is MUCH smaller (which I like.) Also, I asked Derrick (the main bass guy) why they stopped making the green one. His response was, "The green one was only made because the black paint ran out at the factory in Russia, so they used green."

Is that true? Sounds pretty cool to me.

2. BassGod

BassGod

Jan 21, 2004
    I'm almost positive that that isn't true. The green model sounds completely different than the black Russian model. And it's a lot bigger.

Graeme

3. tplyons

tplyons

Apr 6, 2003
    Madison, NJ
    The green one was completely different, a bigger case, much more metal, different components. I believe they changed to the current black type due to cost-cutting.

IIRC the type of switch on the green ones was much more prone to failure as well.

4. Petary791

Petary791

Feb 20, 2005
    Michigan, USA
    So would you suggest the black Russian one or American one?

5. tplyons

tplyons

Apr 6, 2003
    Madison, NJ
    Depends on the sound you're looking for. Americans have true bypass and tend to be a smoother tone. Russians aren't true bypass, don't have power adapters and are more harsh sounding.

6. BassGod

BassGod

Jan 21, 2004
    I have the American one, and I love it. I like the less harsh tone and the true bypass.

Graeme

7. NioeZero

NioeZero

Sep 2, 2001
    Goddamn, I hate Guitar Center... :mad: Most of their employees know less than your average bar band bassist, and what they don't know, they'll make up.

8. just wondering....

"everyone" here seem to prefer the american big muff.

why do so many professional (not that you aren't professional :cool: ) use the russian one?

examples: chris wolstenholme in muse, ex-weezer matt sharp

9. tplyons

tplyons

Apr 6, 2003
    Madison, NJ
    Even more use the American: Chris Chaney, Dirk Lance, and a few more people I can't think of.

But pro or not, most people pick the Russian because it is more harsh.

10. NoNoise

NoNoise Supporting Member

Mar 5, 2005
    New Jersey
    Does the black russian sound different from the green one?

11. tplyons

tplyons

Apr 6, 2003
    Madison, NJ
    For the most part its not AS harsh. The green one was the harshest of them all IMO.

12. hm.. my English isn't very good, so what means harsh in other words?? :bag:
    what comes closer to the cliff burton sound? the american or the russian one??
    thanks

13. NoNoise

NoNoise Supporting Member

Mar 5, 2005
    New Jersey
    Basically, rough, "dirty" sounding, distorted

14. tplyons

tplyons

Apr 6, 2003
    Madison, NJ
    Just like mnolansoc says.

Cliff used a green Russian Big Muff because that's all he could afford at the time. However, I have been able to get closer with the new American's than I have with the Black Russians from my own experience.

15. Akito

Akito

Dec 1, 2003
    Spokane
    I just played them both today and went with the American. I hadn't read anything about the differences in them, so I went strictly with my ears nad personal preference.

16. Tedintheshed

Tedintheshed Banned

Oct 8, 2004
    Columbus, Ohio
    Regarding the Green Russian Big Muffs- it's my understanding as above regarding how they sound, however there was a huge inconsistancy with QC regarding the Green Russian Muffs. The factory that made these obtained whatever parts they could in a haphazard fashion and the result was an inconstistancy in how these units sound. Some of these are the gems that have the highly sought after "harsh" sound while others just sound like crap.

The black Russian Muffs supposedly have a much higher QC, but as a result you don't get the occasional "gem" like you used to (they still sound okay, though). The USA Muffs are much better sounding IMO and much more versatile- you can come close to having that Cliff Burton sound and can also get many others (like that Jace Bruce "froompity" tuba sound).

Ted