Big muff tone knob

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by fenderx55, May 21, 2007.

1. fenderx55

fenderx55

Jan 15, 2005
    NYC/Queens
    Hey guys,

after finally being able to mess around with my Big muff pi in a band situation, I noticed that the more I turn the tone up (clockwise) there's major volume suck. Anyone else experience this/what did you do about it?

thanks,
    chris

2. Sir Edward V

Sir Edward V Not Actually Knighted... Yet!

Dec 11, 2006
    Massachusetts
    Turn the volume knob up!

I have a Little Big Muff and I don't think mine has this problem. If it does, I fixed it by turning the volume knob up. lol

3. JanusZarate

JanusZarate Low End Avenger

Feb 21, 2006
    Petaluma, CA, USA
    Uh... tone knobs always do that. Use the volume knob to make up for it.

As you turn it up, the bass is turned down, and treble is turned up. When you turn it down... it's vice-versa.

I never really had a problem with it - my Little Big Muff is loaded with low end, even at higher tone settings. It's just a matter of turning up the volume knob!

4. SpankyPants

SpankyPants That's Mr. SpankyPants to you.

Aug 24, 2006
    Brooklyn, NY
    Not all tone knobs do that, but all the muff-like "seesaw" tone knobs do.

5. JanusZarate

Feb 21, 2006
    Petaluma, CA, USA
    ...really?

What about passive bass tone controls? They sound like they're doing that, too.

6. SpankyPants

Aug 24, 2006
    Brooklyn, NY
    Nope, passive bass tone knobs are simply a passive treble cut. The more you roll off, the more treble it cuts, and it eventually starts to cut some mids too.

For example, the CompTORTION has a tone control like this, rather than the 'seesaw" muff tone knob.

FWIW: See saw refers to the fact that as the knob is to the left, it cuts highs. As the knob is in the center, it cuts mids. As the knob is to the right, it cuts lows.

7. JanusZarate

Feb 21, 2006
    Petaluma, CA, USA
    AH... that makes sense!

I come from a world of active basses and onboard EQs... so I didn't realize what a passive tone knob actually did to the output sound, much less, what the Big Muff's tone knob was really cutting!

...I'll stick to my active basses, thank you :p

...but a passive P-bass would be nice... :smug:

8. Sir Edward V

Dec 11, 2006
    Massachusetts
    well actually there are two kinds of tone knobs on basses, the ones that roll off treble/mids and there are the ones that pan between pickups, but then again those could have another name, but I've seen them refered to as tone knobs a lot

9. JanusZarate

Feb 21, 2006
    Petaluma, CA, USA
    I've never seen them referred to as tone knobs... usually those are called blend knobs.

Weird. :meh:

And that's not even considering that a blend knob on a pedal is much different than the one on a bass! :eek:

10. SpankyPants

Aug 24, 2006
    Brooklyn, NY
    +1

I've never ever heard a blend knob called a tone knob.

11. fenderx55

fenderx55

Jan 15, 2005
    NYC/Queens
    Yeah... turning it up didn't even occur to me. In my twisted mind I actually said, "ooooh a fun mod to work on!" i'm an idiot. Thanks guys.

12. SpankyPants

Aug 24, 2006
    Brooklyn, NY
    Haha No problem.

And out of curiousity, how far do you turn up the tone? I kept mine at 12 o'clock, but you start losing lows if you go much higher.

Good luck! :D

13. fenderx55

fenderx55

Jan 15, 2005
    NYC/Queens
    Probably around 2 or 3, then dimed it to see if I was crazy or not. I normally (well, I haven't had it long enough for it to be normally, but up till then) I keep it around 10oclock, but I was trying tighten it up a little bit.

14. SpankyPants

Aug 24, 2006
    Brooklyn, NY
    If it sounds "loose" then it'd be more helpful to turn down the sustain, which will also slightly drop the volume. But if you're referring to something else being "tighter" then I think someone's confusing slang words. :p

15. Sir Edward V

Dec 11, 2006
    Massachusetts
    well the LBM is somewhat different from the biggun but i keep my knobs at 9:00 - 3:00 - Unity gain, i like the buzzsawish tone

16. Crabby

Crabby

Dec 22, 2004
    I have to crank the tone knob up fairly high (about 3/4) when using my Little Big Muff with my 810 cab as it has no tweeter. using my pair of 112 cabs with horns, the tone knob can come down quite a bit. Either way its the coolest pedal.

My daughter is six and she always wants the Little Big Muff turned on and then she stomps on my wah while I play! Its her favorite sound from all my pedals! haha

17. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Jun 22, 2021