1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Big muff wont cut through mix HELP

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by Mattbass97, Aug 2, 2012.

1. Mattbass97

Mattbass97

Apr 9, 2011
    Hello! Everytime I kick on my bass big muff with my band it absolutely disappears!! It's soo frustrating I was wondering if the bass fuzz deluxe by mxr sounds similar to the big muff and if it cuts through better?

Thanks

2. the BFD from MXR will cut through better, because it has a clean blend. I would recommend that over the BBM. However it has more of a synth type fuzz. The wren and cuff pickle pie B is a very similar sounding pedal to the old big muffs and also has a clean blend. IMO you'd be happiest with the wren&cuff, great pedal, a bit more expensive than the MXR but worth every cent. Again, i love the Mxr BFD, but its just not a muff sound. Good luck man

Edit- Im sorry, the Bass Big Muff might have a clean blend too. But I would still get the Pickle Pie B. Its a better sounding pedal
    Or get a Grey Stache or the SuperCollider, these pedals have mid boost that help bass players cut through as well. I have to sat my favorite fuzz is the Fuzzrocious GS.

3. Mattbass97

Mattbass97

Apr 9, 2011
    Cheers for that!

4. Bassmike62

Bassmike62 GAS resistance is utterly futile... Supporting Member

The BBM has a clean blend (limited), but it still disappeared when I used it in band context. I share the frustration 'cause I really liked it on its own. After trying out a few pedals, sticking with a Swollen Pickle for now.

5. It disappears because it is mid-scooped, as all normal muffs are. Mid-scooping your signal is the fastest way to completely disappear from a band mix. You will have much better results with a fuzz that is more mid-focused, or one of the boutique muff clones that have a mids control (Musket, Supercollider, Grey Stache).

6. Add a 10 band eq after the muff and tweak it until you're back in the mix. Also recommend using dry mode on the switch so you have a blended sound. I love my muff and refuse to replace it for anything less than a b3k.

7. The_Janitor

The_Janitor

Jun 30, 2012
    Madison, Wi
    I use a BBM and don't have trouble cutting through. I actually avoid the clean blend, goose the volume on the pedal a bit and turn up the bass and mids on the amp.

8. What kind of music do you play?

9. DrowningBrian

DrowningBrian

May 21, 2009
    Atlanta, GA
    BBM sucks...doesnt get nasty enough for me.
    get a wren and cuff tall font russian i dont use a blend pedal and it works...or get a fuzz pedal with a mids knob.
    BUT id rather use a proco rat 85' whiteface reissue. they cut like no other, but its distortion NOT fuzz.