Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

BIG MUFF (Yes or no)

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by Diabolical Funk, Jun 6, 2005.

1. Diabolical Funk

Diabolical Funk

Jun 6, 2005
    I been thinkin about getting this pedal, Im sure some of you have heard of it. Is it any good as a distortion pedal? I was just wondering if it really gets somewhat of the same distortion billy corgan gets on his guitar, or if it even works with the low freq :meh:

2. Petary791

Petary791

Feb 20, 2005
    Michigan, USA
    I've often wondered this too. I tried one at Guitar Center, and personally, it wasn't THAT amazing. It was good for fuzz, but I couldn't really get an overdrive sound out of it.

3. Dan1099

Dan1099 Dumbing My Process Down

Aug 7, 2004
    Michigan
    Both of my guitar players have them, but neither of them use them that often. They CAN nail that Siamese Dream guitar sound, that's for sure. They are also slightly bass-shy, as in, they don't pass your low end all that well. Petary, Of course you can't get an overdrive sound from them, they are NOT an overdrive pedal. They're not even really a distortion pedal, but a fuzz more than anything else.

4. I disagree. I use the black russian ver. and it does have low end.
    Its hard to tame though... its pretty much a one trick horse, and once you find your settings, GLUE them in place :D stupid knobs move too easily.

5. Basstyra

Basstyra Commercial User

Apr 3, 2005
    France
    CTO @ Two notes Audio Engineering
    Yes !!! Take it, it just rocks... :)

I moded mine to add a // dry loop, it's just perfect now. I wouldn't sell it for all the gold of earth... (hm... oh, well, you know, it's only a way of speaking.... :p )

6. tplyons

tplyons

Apr 6, 2003
    Madison, NJ
    I've had over a dozen different units. That should tell you something, I love 'em! I sell them to fund other mad distortion binges, that never leave me impressed.

7. Sonorous

Sonorous

Oct 1, 2003
    Denton, TX
  8. 43% burnt

43% burnt an actor who wants to run the whole show

May 4, 2004
    Bridgeport, CT
    whats up with this mod people speak of that supposedly preserves the low end?

I love the sound of the big muff, but my experience with it hasn't been to strong on the bass side of things. Maybe I haven't tried the right one.

9. fozzy

fozzy

Jun 21, 2001
    Riga, Latvia, EU
    To BigMuff or not to BigMuff? Definitely, yes! :D
    [​IMG]

10. Tedintheshed

Tedintheshed Banned

Oct 8, 2004
    Columbus, Ohio
    In short- yes.

Everyone should own a USA made muff IMO. It is the reference point from which most other distortions for bass are judged from.

Ted

11. I say yes to the Big Muff!

I purchased a NYC Big Muff Pi Reissue on tplyons recommendation and find its works great on bass! No trouble with loss of low end - in fact the low end almost gets too big on me! I run the tone set at about 10 oclock, any lower and my rig starts to do weird things.

Big Muffs sound great in front of MXR Phase 90's - another Pumpkin's pedal!

12. whats that "Dry loop mod" dude?
    what does it do?
    is is easy for someone that solders his fingers together to do? :D

13. Basstyra

Basstyra Commercial User

Apr 3, 2005
    France
    http://www.talkbass.com/forum/showthread.php?t=177789

Be careful, the actual schematic is slightly different (a 1M resistor to ground to add before the input cap), I shloud warn it in the topic, and add soundclips...

It's not perfect, it adds a very little noise, but it adds a new dimension to the Muff.

Quickly : the dry (non effected) signal still passes throught the Muff, and the Muff sound is added to it, instead of remplacing it. There is a dry loop independant volume control.

So I can blend the both signals with the both volume controls, I can put the tone control full to treble without loosing my basses, I can keep my attack and presence.

I did that with a boss LS-2 before, I just put this function into the box.

It wasn't esay to do, because I started from almost nothing and built my own schematic, but I should take some time to describe the way to do this for a beginner. Not really hard, the conception was the hard point. You'll have to learn to solder, anyway.

14. Thanks man, I'll be sure to look into that.

edit: holy crap dude, I cant do that... :eek:

I'm terrible at soldering and I dont know jack about "Sparky" work...

still, I might give it a go... just hope I dont burn my muff :D

15. Basstyra

Basstyra Commercial User

Apr 3, 2005
    France
    I will work on a tutorial to do that. It isn't hard, really.

16. Coward Of Reali

Coward Of Reali

Oct 13, 2003
    Anyone own a Double Muff? How do they sound compared to the original?

17. tplyons

tplyons

Apr 6, 2003
    Madison, NJ
  18. I'd appreciate that... I was looking through your designs, and found out that I have no idea on how to begin that... lol.

edit:
    ooh... I see you've already posted some new stuff yesterday...

19. Grisanti

Grisanti

Apr 17, 2005
    Italy
    yes yes yes- Kind of destruction I 've written a song almost with big muff' feedback sound really good

20. Basstyra

Basstyra Commercial User

Apr 3, 2005
    France
    I think there is all you need to build this at this time. There will probably be details to arrange, particularely if your muff isn't exactly the same as mine. But if you want to do this, just go ! You have the perfboard plan, the component needed, just buy the pieces, put it together, and install it in the box.

For the perfboard : I broke the lines behind using a driller, just to remove the metal (without drilling deep enough to reach the other side). I used the space up and right to attach the board to the existing muff board. You'll have, if you choose to do the same, to break the line there too, to avoid unwanted contacts due to a screw or metal line in my case (lokk at the photos).

If you want to , you can. Just good luck ! I would gladly help you if you have troubles.