Big Muff

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by willwonka, Mar 14, 2003.

1. Just ordered one from the city (electro-harmonix Bigg Muff pi) any one else have one of these models, and if you do, dose it work fine with the bass or did you have to do a mod on it?

2. Jazz Ad

Jazz Ad Mi la ré sol Gold Supporting Member Supporting Member

I myself hate it, but a lot of people are very happy with it.
    It misses a dry/wet balance and a true bypass.
  3. Have you ever tried the bassballs, if you have whats your opinion on that.

4. Sworn

Feb 27, 2003
    So Cal
    the bassballs is a cool little effect. Chili Peppers - Sir Psycho Sexy would be an example of its use.
  5. Flea uses a Phase Shifter on Sir physco Sexy, not a bassballs unit
  6. Sworn

Feb 27, 2003
    So Cal
    on second thought, I think you're right, Freaky. But wouldn't you agree the Bass Balls comes pretty darn close to that sound?
  7. You really might want to mod that or something so you can at least retain some of your low-end. The Big Muff is a great fuzz but does trim a bit of yer bottom. May not bother you but it would bug the heck outta me. There are so many terrific bass-OD's and fuzzes out there....That EH is a classic but IMO redundant due to the abundance of so many bass-specific boxes.
    Two schools of thought on bass distortion which may be of interest; some prefer to have a clean blend while others go for effecting the full range of the bass. I prefer the latter for massively huge tones. The Dredgetone Angler and Fulltone Bass Drive use this approach and it really works for me. I still love my old RAT pedal though and it has the same shortcomings as the Big Muff, low-end wise. This company actually will mod your RAT for more bottom? Maybe they can add a blend to your EH?
  8. alexclaber

alexclaber Commercial User

Jun 19, 2001
    Brighton, UK
    Director - Barefaced Ltd
    That's what it says in the tab book. But that is soooo wrong. It's not a Bassballs either, its an original Mutron envelope filter with a dying battery (hence the distortion).

Something Flea said an interview:

It's funny-"Coffee Shop" would never have been a song if it weren't for this effect called the [Electro-Harmonix] BassBalls. I started playing with it one morning in Hawaii, and it had the most amazing underwater, Bootsy kind of sound-and it also had this siren effect going on. But when we got to L.A. to start recording, the box never made the sound again. I got so mad, I crushed it! I almost didn't even want to record the song, because to me, it was all about that bass sound. I ended up using a Boss Dynamic Filter on the record.

"How did you get that ultra-slimy sound on "Falling Into Grace"?"

It's the BassBalls, the Boss Dynamic Filter, and maybe a Boss Auto Wah, too. I had all three hooked up, but I may have used only two of them.

And back to me:

Personally, I like the Big Muff as a bass fuzz. I use an unmodified Sovtek one and I love it. I do use a Bassdrive for overdrive/distortion but for funky fuzz the Muff takes the cake. If you want searing top-end but still need plenty of bottom you may need to modify it or try something else, but running into my SWR-GP/Mackie-M1400i/2xLow-B2 rig it sounds plenty trebley enough.

9. And......they are all crap IMO. Funny huh? I have used each of them and even owned a few but they all seriously lack any sort of that lovely analog, squelchy wet blanket sound. Ok, the Bassballs is a unique and fun toy I'll admit, but for a truly rich EV filter tone each of those would be among the very last that I would personally choose. an original Mutron...Q-tron+...boxes like these are a world apart from the pedestrian, "dry toast" banality of those BOSS filters. Flea has never been much of a gear head which I 'spose I sort of respect. He just uses what works for him.

10. what tab book? to me it sound like both, now that i listen to it again.
  11. DRN

Mar 17, 2002
    Las Vegas
    Has anyone seen or used the jugernaut yet?
    (however you spell it)
  12. Munjibunga

Munjibunga Total Hyper-Elite Member Gold Supporting Member

May 6, 2000
    San Diego (when not at Groom Lake)
    Independent Contractor to Bass San Diego
    I was sure this thread was going to be about 15-inch speakers.
  13. Ah, but for good fuzz, you'd need 10" speakers, wouldn't you?;) :p :cool:

:rolleyes: (at myself, not Munji)
  14. If you had both passive AND active inputs you might try splitting your signal some where along the line, running fuzz and time delay stuff into one input and your clean tone into the other; your amp will function like a mixer this way. I have done this loads of times and it would allow you to use your Big Muff blended with your clean tone. I would run my things like octaver and filters full-range B4 splitting the signal into seperate lines. Just a thought.
  15. moley

Sep 5, 2002
    Hampshire, UK
    Big Muff.

I can't help but think that's a pretty poorly thought out product name.
  16. Got your attention.
  17. moley

Sep 5, 2002
    Hampshire, UK
    lol, yes, that it did :)
  18. i must have the only muff in the world that can balance between on and off... lucky me!

it does lose a bit of bottom end, i don't have much of a problem with that (because of the music i'm playing).

all in all, i like the sound. plus, it's fairly inexpensive and it's a tank that you'll be able to kick around stages for the rest of your life.
  19. I've got a Big Muff and I think it's great. If you don't turn the tone-knob further than 9:00 it will retain lowend pretty well. I use it for one sound, and it's the best I've heard so far. Massive! Maybe one of those boutique pedals will sound better, but I chose it over EBS multidrive and the Hughes and Kettner Tube...something. They just didn't nail the sound I was looking for. About the "built like a tank" thing, I would trust it to win wars! Mine (russian version) has got a big dent, just from lying in my bag. Boss pedals seem much more sturdy I think.

I think you'll like it :)