1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Big Muffs with Tone Bypass (either stock or modded)

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by rratajski, Mar 8, 2010.

1. rratajski

rratajski Commercial User

Jul 1, 2008
    Mount Laurel, NJ
    Builder for FUZZROCIOUS PEDALS
    Everyone who knows me on here knows that I LOVE my GGG-Tuned BMP and most muffs, in general with bass...

I currently run my muff blended 50/50 or 55 clean/45 dirty to keep my lows/low mids/etc and cut through high gain guitars.

I am thinking about modding my muff for tone bypass, which was part of an older EHX muff version (and newer tone wicker version, I believe).

Has anyone played a version w/ tone bypass w/ bass? If so, how was the general tone of the muff w/ the tone stack bypassed? I know to expect about +6dB and more present mids...

Discuss, friends.

2. moose23

moose23

Dec 27, 2007
    Builder Moose23 Electronics
    I've built one with no tone and no gain recovery stage and I'm not convinced by it yet. I think a simple high cut would go a long way and possibly bringing back the gain recovery stage for some crazy volume boost. Definitely needs more work anyway.

It does however still have the basic sound of the ggg tuned muff but the tones just aren't there imo.

3. Swift713

Swift713

Dec 4, 2006
    Florence, Ma
    I had a BYOC Ram's Head with the 4 position tone selector. I definitely preferred the bypassed position. It could still benefit from a blend or some kind of bass boost but I really liked the wide open tone.

4. Swimming Bird

Swimming Bird

Apr 18, 2006
    Wheaton MD
    + 6dbs and more present mids. I liked it (tried a Tone Wicker), but not enough to ditch my old DOD FX92.

5. rcubed

rcubed

May 8, 2008
    San Diego, CA
    I haven't done this yet but I think a lot of your lows might get buried since there isn't a low pass filter rolling off the high highs.

6. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Nov 30, 2020