1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Big Name Brands and Their Inherent, Signature Sounds

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by scuba steve, May 8, 2006.

1. scuba steve

scuba steve

Dec 28, 2005
    Hillsboro, Tx
    i was just wanting to know what y'all think is each brands inherent, signature sound. example-Ampeg:warm, big bottom ect.

Ampeg
    SWR
    GK
    Genz-Benz
    Eden
    Aguilar
    Mesa
    Fender
    Trace Elliot
    Ashdown
    Berg
    Glock
    the list goes on...

i understand eack of these brands make numerous models that sound different than their brothers, but im pretty sure y'all understand what im asking.

2. Yeah, I'd like to know too. Since I'm pretty much regulated to what they sell at GC(Ampeg, GK, Behringer), I'd like to know if anyone can describe the signature sound that is talked about so much.

From what I hear Ampeg, GK, Trace Elliot, and SWR are all good brands but their tone is very distinct.

3. scuba steve

scuba steve

Dec 28, 2005
    Hillsboro, Tx
    bump. i know y'all have input on this subject. if enough of y'all respond, this could be a very informative and helpful thread for everyone.

4. I have very little insight into this compared with many of the older guys on here but I'll say what I have found. Keep in mind that everyones opinions on tone are just that.

GK- Very sterile sound with a signature mid range growl that is unlike a tube amps mid growl.

Ampeg- Big, fat, warm.

Mesa/Boogie- Like Ampeg the big warm bottom end is there but they seem to cut through a little more with more top end.

Genz-Benz- Very Very crisp clean tone. Great for slap but little else. (Remember it only what I've found)

5. SWR - Opposite of Ampeg. Modern hi-fi sound.

6. scuba steve

scuba steve

Dec 28, 2005
    Hillsboro, Tx
    alright! keep it goin!

7. The Lurker

The Lurker

Aug 16, 2002
    Ankh-Morpork
    Mesas, tube and SS alike, generally tend to sound cleaner to me than Ampegs do-- Ampegs are generally quite coloured as far as amps go, but it's a colour I like ;)

I thought GC carried Mesas these days? the one nearest me does, not that I can afford such things anyways.....

8. I own the following two amps, so I hope my opinions are of some assistance in your search.

For reference, both amps are used with a Fender Jazz bass loaded with Seymour Duncan Hot Stacks and are powering Schroeder
    4x10 and 2x12 cabinets at 2ohms.

Ampeg SVT Classic 1997 model with Sovtek tubes.
    Tone: Really fat, thick and tubey (for obvious reasons).
    Warm and round sounding. Definitely not Hi-FI-sounding at all! But that doesn't mean you can't get a great slap tone out of it. Hands down a fantastic bass amp.
    This is the amp to use if you're into a vintage bass sound.
    Simple as hell to use.

Aguilar DB750 2005 model with Groove tubes.
    Tone: Georgous! Fat, thick and tubey yet still articulate. Chords sound nice and clear - not blurred. Flat out the best bass tone I've ever heard. Yes, better than the Ampeg SVT (and much lighter!) Simple as hell to use (again). The voicings are great. There are no ugly-sounding tones here. Turn a knob and immediatley hear a difference in tone. Such a great amp.

A side note:
    I gig often at venues where they have a house rig.
    It's times like those when I realize just how incredible my rigs are.

At these venues, I have experience playing other Ampeg heads (ie: SVT3) through SVT 8x10 cabinets (awesome cab), GK 700RB and RB cabs (excellent cab) and SWR through Goliath cabs. IMHO, they are good but not great and no match for the real SVT Classic and could not hold a candle to the DB750 + Schroeders in the tone department. Again, just my opinion.

9. fdeck

fdeck Supporting Member Commercial User

Mar 20, 2004
    Madison WI
    HPF Technology LLC
    I would rather see response curves.

10. chaosMK

chaosMK

May 26, 2005
    Albuquerque, NM
    Hi-fi into an old tube amp
    Ashdown stuff has been particularly "warm" sounding in my experience, and rather "punchy" in the way power is delivered.

11. Ampeg = Lots of mids and cut
    GK = Really full but also really transparent
    Behringer = poop

I dunno, everyone hears everything different.