Big necked basses

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by InKubus, Jan 21, 2004.

1. InKubus

Dec 16, 2003
    B.C. Canada
    hey guys; I started bass 2 odd years ago and got a fender squier 5 string for my starter bass. Good little bass but as I haev progressed I have some problems with it.

#1. No active pickups and after playing with other musicians active basses I really prefer the sound of actives.
    #2. The neck is a little small for my preference.

I recently played a fender precision 5 string and it had this massive neck and I really liked the feel of it (the owner put emg actives into it and it was sweet). I am looking to get a new bass guitar pretty soon and have had trouble finding one's with large necks. can you guys recommend any models with huge necks?
  2. The Ibanez BTB fivers have pretty wide necks, check out Spectors too.

3. Alembics have baseball bats for necks, but they're a bit pricey. Look into wide-spaced Warwicks (Streamers and 'Vette's). What you're looking for is 19 mm or 3/4" string spacing, which is what most 4-strings are space at. You should also look into the Fender, Lakland, Sadowsky, G&L, KSD basses too, if you liked the Fender so much.
  4. egb41

Mar 26, 2003
    U.S.A OHIO Columbus
    I have recently been looking for the same thing. I ended up with a Lakland 55-01 and An Mtd Grendel. You can get a new Lakland for about 700.00. Or a Grendel for about 1000.00. Also the Ken Smith Design Jazz style basses look sweet. I would stick with a 35" scale unless you were really looking at higher end basses because the b string has a tendency to sound very undefined on production basses without a longer scale. Also MTD has an import line that may fit your bill. Any more question will gladly be answered.
  5. Christopher

Apr 28, 2000
    New York, NY
    Uh, the Fender Precision Deluxe 5? It's a well-made instrument and looks pretty good.
  6. todd 4ta

todd 4ta

Apr 3, 2003
    Are you talking wide (nut width, string spacing) or thick (front to back) or both?

For a pretty thick 5 string neck, try a G&L L2500. Active & passive, pretty 'fenderish', used in the $650-800 range.
  7. The 0x

The 0x

Aug 24, 2003
    Timonium, MD
    Chunky necks are the shiznit. :cool:
  8. jdombrow

jdombrow Supporting Member

Jan 16, 2002
    Colorado Springs, CO
    I'm surprised no one has mentioned the Fender Roscoe Beck V jazz bass. Big fat neck, and the best sounding Fender ever!
  9. Blackbird

Blackbird Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Mar 18, 2000
    We were waiting for you too bring it up. What took you so long?

I say Warwick too. Beefiest necks I've ever seen.
  10. egb41

Mar 26, 2003
    U.S.A OHIO Columbus
    #1. No active pickups and after playing with other musicians active basses I really prefer the sound of actives Thats why!!!
  11. Brendan

Jun 18, 2000
    Austin, TX
    Spector. Large, yet incredibly playable necks.
  12. :cool:
  13. Mud Flaps

Mud Flaps

Feb 3, 2003
    Norton, MA
    The Stingrays have a pretty fat neck. So do the old P-Basses.
  14. xush

Jul 4, 2001
    mobile AL
    Matt Schmill can carve a really beefy neck if you like. All my FBB's have nice big necks. A good asymmetrical shape too, it's quite comfortable to me.

I thought Warwicks had big round necks, till I got my first FBB!

FBB custom basses
  15. Fuzzbass

Fuzzbass P5 with overdrive Supporting Member

Are you definitely getting a 5-string? Spector, MusicMan, and G&L necks are chunky in terms of thickness/profile, but string spacing on their fivers is narrow when compared with Fender, MTD, and others.

So far, the "mother of all bass necks" that I've found is my Warwick Streamer Stage I 5. 20mm string spacing at the bridge, and perhaps the chunkiest neck I've ever played! I love it. :) Note that most Warwick fivers have narrow spacing, but their profiles will most likely be chunky.

P.S. I'm interested to know how your friend retrofitted a Fender Precision 5 with EMG pickups! I'm not aware of any EMG's that are a natural fit for that bass.
  16. dabshire

Dec 15, 2002
    McKinney, TX
    MTD Kingston 5's have big, wide necks. You could land a plane on them.

But they are very easy to play.
  17. InKubus

Dec 16, 2003
    B.C. Canada
    thx for the replies guys/gals.

I meant thick neck by pure width i.e. the distance from where the b string rests to where the g string rests (i don't know what you would call it)

also I liked playing with my teachers p bass as he has big spaces between the strings.

The way he put emgs in was he took his pick guard off and literally carved out channels the emgs need. then he strapped the pick guard back on and you couldn't see the channels he made.
  18. Josh Curry

Josh Curry

May 29, 2003
    Frisco, TX
    I'm all about the Spectors! (Euro's and USA models) They have big fat beefy necks that are strong and will sustain for days. They also have the EMG active pickups that you (and me) like.
  19. Josh Curry

Josh Curry

May 29, 2003
    Frisco, TX
    That's called a "Wide" neck.