1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

"Big Note" notch filter in pedal form?

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by fretlessman71, Apr 22, 2010.

1. Okay, I have no idea of the name of what I'm talking about, so there's no real way to search for it. Here goes:

I'd love to have a pedal that is a single channel fully parametric EQ, with the bandwidth permanently set at a really narrow setting, so I could isolate big notes in a room coming from my bass and kill them.

Does such a beast exist? And don't tell me to have the sound guy do it - at my regular gig there IS no "sound guy", and a pedestrian board at best. I need to regain control of my F# notes without losing all my low end!

2. maybe a graphich eq pedal might help (just because i dont kno many parametric EQs)? or maybe look into why it happens in the first place (could it be a resonant frequency of the amp you're using?)

3. CyberSnyder

CyberSnyder Gold Supporting Member

Jun 19, 2003
    Maryland
    I Endorse Alien Audio Basses
  4. even a $50 artec parametric EQ pedal could probably achieve this

5. bongomania

bongomania Gold Supporting Member Commercial User

Oct 17, 2005
    PDX, OR
    owner, OVNIFX and OVNILabs
    Neat--I was going to disagree, because the older version of the Artec was a useless joke--but the current version looks quite decent, and looks like it should do the job!

6. yeah, i wasn't familiar with any earlier version. the current one's been out a couple years

7. Dang. Looks like you can't get them in this country.

8. bongomania

bongomania Gold Supporting Member Commercial User

Oct 17, 2005
    PDX, OR
    owner, OVNIFX and OVNILabs
    They show up on Ebay semi-regularly, so keep an eye out there.

9. there was one on ebay today at $40 BIN with free shipping...

10. So I got one of these. REALLY love the tone, and does just what I need it to do. Nice overdrive-y smooth top end in the gain stage too. :D Thanks for the tip!

11. LeonD

LeonD Supporting Member

Reviving an old thread to see if there any new notch filter pedals on the market.

12. ga_edwards

ga_edwards

Sep 8, 2000
    UK, Essex
    The EWS bass mid control is a single band parametric, but I don't know if the Q is narrow enough to be a notch filter.

Otherwise, the venerable Zoom MS-60b (or B3 or B1on) has a 2 band parametric eq that is ideal for this situation - I have used one for this purpose in the past to good effect.

13. LeonD

LeonD Supporting Member

Awesome size but I would question the Q also. And it only goes down to 120Hz. I'm thinking that might not be low enough.

14. FilterFunk

FilterFunk Everything is on the ONE! Supporting Member

Mar 31, 2010
    I didn't dig the EWS BMC. I thoroughly dig the Boss PQ-3B, though.

It might fill the OP's needs. It certainly works for me!