Big Ol' 60s-style semi-hollow body

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by rjg, Mar 9, 2003.

1. There is a slight chance that my wife-to-be may by me another bass as a wedding present.

I'm seriously thinking about adding a semi-hollow body to the arsenal, and I see affordable Epiphone Rivoli's on eBay all the time.

I also see less affordable Gibson EB2s.

She can probably swing the Epiphone, but the Gibsons are a little out of her price range. I could have an Epiphone now, or wait awhile and pick up a Gibson when we've recovered from the wedding itself.

So, a couple of questions. How comparable are the two basses? Also, I notice that the older EB2s have a single neck pickup, while later models have both neck and bridge. There also seem to be two Rivoli models, one with the single pickup and the Rivoli II model withe two. ow important is the second pickup?

I'm looking for the classic British Invasion sound, if that helps any.

Of course, this may be a moot point, as there's always the possibility I will get a more "romantic" gift instead. Sigh.
  2. Slater

Slater Bye Millen! Hello?

Apr 17, 2000
    The Great Lakes State
  3. I'm probably looking around $500-$550 at the most. A Rivoli went for $335 a few days back.

The Jack Casady's out of the price range. I'm also not keen on the color selection--I could live with black if I had to, but I can't stand gold. And the Lakland isn't really what I want--I'm definitely looking for something that looks like an EB2.
  4. A used, or NOS, DeArmond Starfire would probably fit the bill.
  5. HeavyDuty

HeavyDuty Supporting Curmudgeon Staff Member Gold Supporting Member

Jun 26, 2000
    Suburban Chicago, IL
    I like my DeArmond Starfire for old-fashioned thump. It is short scale, however.

On my Starfire, I tend to use the neck pickup much more than the bridge. That's where that thump lives! I could very easily live with only one pickup.