Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Big/outdoor gigs - how common is this...?

Discussion in 'Off Topic [BG]' started by wingnutkj, Jun 4, 2004.

1. wingnutkj

wingnutkj

Mar 27, 2003
    Scotland
    Yesterday I was at the Download Scotland festival on Glasgow Green to see Iggy and The Stooges (Mike Watt on bass!!). There was a big area in front of the stage which you could only get access to with a wristband, and you had to be one of the first 3000 people through the gates to get one. It meant that everyone else was forced to be miles back, which was No Fun. I was thinking about how much the arrangement sucked when it occurred to me that I've not been to many outdoor festival type events, and I've never really worried about getting right down the front before. Is it common?

I suppose it's good for safety reasons - easier to prevent crushing accidents when there's a limited number of people in the area, and the marketing people probably *love* it. It's frustrating when all the eager kids have vacated the area because they've never heard of the Stooges and they want to save their energy for Linkin Park, leaving a huge gap in the middle of the field and a bunch of die-hard Stooges fans stuck miles from the stage though.

Watt worked the thud stick good; I also saw Machine Head, The Distillers and Lost Prophets, but decided I couldn't be bothered with Linkin Park and headed home in time for a warm mug of cocoa and the shipping forecast.

2. Gia

Gia

Feb 28, 2001
    roseability
    that's what's happening with the chilis in london, and i hope to god it's not going to suck :(

"gold" tickets were £150, and regular tickets were £40.

were the distillers good?

3. wingnutkj

wingnutkj

Mar 27, 2003
    Scotland
    The Distillers were OK - I'm not too familiar with them, but I saw them last year with the Chilis and they seem to do that whole scuzzy-punk-rock-opening-act thing quite well. They remind me of The Wildhearts, mainly because there was a time when it seemed like I couldn't go to a gig without The Wildhearts being the openers!

Brody's slightly sexier than Ginger though...

4. Gia

Gia

Feb 28, 2001
    roseability
    yeah, slightly :p

i love brody. one day she shall be my wife.

5. wingnutkj

wingnutkj

Mar 27, 2003
    Scotland
    Just thinking about the Chili's ticket pricing thing - that totally sucks - £110 extra to be in a moshpit!?

6. Gia

Gia

Feb 28, 2001
    roseability
  7. That same thing happened when i went to big day out on the green last year.
    this to me, was not a good idea as the people behind the barriers where being crushed and hurt, while the people with band were just strolling about near the front of the stage,some even sitting on the grass! this was quite an annoying thing to see as i was being crushed into a barrier.

i feel your pain! :smug:

8. Hurley

Hurley

Feb 12, 2004
    Cape Cod, MA
    We share common interests. I want her, like whoa.

You'd make a hot couple. If you get to her first, can I come to the wedding?

9. wingnutkj

wingnutkj

Mar 27, 2003
    Scotland
    It wasn't mine - it was the guy who was moshing and blacked out and sort of ran face first into the ground just behind me.

There was also a guy wandering around the back of the front bit (you follow me?) being smug at us. Security weren't entirely surprised when people started throwing beer and toilet paper at him.

10. Gia

Gia

Feb 28, 2001
    roseability
    sure thing.

11. miccheck1516

miccheck1516 Guest

Feb 15, 2003
    Ireland

Im seeing them in a week in dublin, i hope they dont have any crap like that going on down there.

12. right enough man, there was alot of people beside me who were blacking out or getting cracked rips etc. and that kinda got to me too.
    and i get what u mean about the smug people,with their wrist bands, thinking they're sooooo cool :spit: but anyway, it was a good gig,the chilis were awsome. shame i could only hear myself singing along to police helicopter. :meh:

keep the peace

neil