Big PA Lit'l combo

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Pesticle, Jul 29, 2002.

1. My guitarist got a nice big pa system with all kindsa gizmo's and gadgets... and i no longer need to haul a 4x10 to practice anymore, and i travel via 4 wheeler and wagon quite a bit . i am looking for a small combo.. like 50-80 give or take a little watts should do fine that has really nice modern cutting tone to it that i can run through the pa and just leave at my friends practice garage. basically something small, cheap (as i dont want to be in debt if something happens transporting it) that has good sound to it.

thanks to all in advance
  2. FretNoMore

FretNoMore * Cooking with GAS *

Jan 25, 2002
    The frozen north
    IMHO, you need at least 100, more likely 120-150 watts and 12" speaker to give you decent monitoring level on stage, and particularly with a drummer. Try a couple of combos and play some low notes and you'll quickly sort out the useless ones. A guitar player friend of mine went through testing a number of small lower price tiltback bass combos (he uses it as monitor for guitar w. POD, and for teaching himself bass), and wound up buying the Behringer combo. All combos with lower wattage crapped out badly with bass, even if they did work as guitar monitor.

OK, as a practice amp you can get away with something smaller, but you'll be disappointed as soon as the drummer starts up... :)
  3. Munjibunga

Munjibunga Total Hyper-Elite Member Gold Supporting Member

May 6, 2000
    San Diego (when not at Groom Lake)
    Independent Contractor to Bass San Diego
    You have described the SWR Workingman's 12 combo.
  4. Brad Johnson

Brad Johnson Commercial User

Mar 8, 2000
    Gaithersburg, Md
    Boom Bass Cabinets, DR strings
    Which isn't 300w ;) :D
  5. The Lowest

The Lowest

May 17, 2002
    New Jersey
    I've been using one of these for EVERYTHING for the past 3 years. I love it..surprisingly great sound for such a small amp and very convenient for hooking up into the PA if neccessary.
  6. FretNoMore

FretNoMore * Cooking with GAS *

Jan 25, 2002
    The frozen north
    If you're looking at the "SWR price range" (the initial post doesn't really say), I could also recommend the EBS Drome 12", I'm very pleased with mine, it's louder than expected and quite small, and has lots of extra features like monitor input for practice, and DI for hooking up to the PA.
  7. Paul A

Paul A

Dec 13, 1999
    Hertfordshire U.K!
    Ashdown Electric Blue 12 or 15!
  8. Yogi Bear

Yogi Bear Supporting Member

Aug 14, 2000
    Gallien Krueger MB150E112