Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Big problem, Help!!!

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Dean_CustomJazz, Feb 2, 2003.

1. Dean_CustomJazz

Dean_CustomJazz Guest

Jan 23, 2002
    woburn
    Upon switching the control knobs on my basses, I accidently ripped the shaft out of the 500k tone. I have no clue what so ever as how to put it back inn. It's 11:16 and I have a show at 2:00:eek:
    Everytime I try to put it back in, it gets really loose, and it doesn't rotate all the way. I drew a small picture as to how it looks now:[​IMG]

2. jondog

jondog

Mar 14, 2002
    NYC metro area
    I'm not familiar w/ pots that have removable shafts. You may have broken it. Is the tone stuck in an acceptable place? If so, then play without it your knob.

3. Im a sock

Im a sock

Dec 23, 2002
    Central MA
    yikes. yeah in addition to what jondog said if you cant get that sucker back in there maybe a small screwdriver will work? good luck with that.

4. pmkelly

pmkelly

Nov 28, 2000
    Kansas City, MO
    maybe run to radio shack, get another pot and any soldering supplies you may not have and get it back together quickly?

P@

5. Munjibunga

Munjibunga Total Hyper-Elite Member Gold Supporting Member

May 6, 2000
    San Diego (when not at Groom Lake)
    Independent Contractor to Bass San Diego
    Perhaps a tiny drop of super glue on the end of the shaft?

6. the super glue sounds best
    but if you set it temporarily at a convenient tone setting
    and i would say none..and use the amp to control the highs
    then do the gig and replace later
    i hardly ever use tone on the P/J
    i clank a bit though:)

7. Dean_CustomJazz

Dean_CustomJazz Guest

Jan 23, 2002
    woburn
    i have dual jazz, and i opened up the pot..... ouch. I snapped the plastic coupling that holds the shaft in. time for radio shack:D.

8. SuperDuck

SuperDuck

Sep 26, 2000
    Wisconsin
    That sux, man, you got shafted.

9. Dean_CustomJazz

Dean_CustomJazz Guest

Jan 23, 2002
    woburn
    thank jebus for crappy weather, the show was cancelled. I went to radioshack, no A500k, but I did find one on my fender battery amp. And upon thinking about this I came up with a zany (I hate that word) idea. If I take the 50k drive pot, and put it with the new 500k, it creates a cool overdrive. Suddenly it hit me, on board overdrive? am I insane, or am I on to something.....

10. pmkelly

pmkelly

Nov 28, 2000
    Kansas City, MO
    necessity is the mother of invention.... let us know how it turns out!

P@

11. Rock City

Rock City

Apr 8, 2001
    Boston,Ma
    Dean Custom Jazz,
    Come by the shop this week and I'll replace it! I'm in Somerville in Davis Square. The pot is $5.00, and I NEVER charge other bass players labor!!!!!
    GEEK

12. Dean_CustomJazz

Dean_CustomJazz Guest

Jan 23, 2002
    woburn
    I used to live in somerville, on the east side. but I fixed it.

As for the onboard overdirve. It was a pretty cool sound, but had way too much crunch. I took it out, and my bass is just fine now.