Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Big Problem, small cause

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Imaheathen, Feb 22, 2006.

1. Imaheathen

Imaheathen

Sep 6, 2005
    The tip of my basscord got stuck in the input of my amp. The cord was very old and it, atleast this is what I assume, broke off. I have no clue how to get it out of my amp. This is a devestating problem for me. Does anyone know how to get it out, without having to open the case. I still want to keep my warranty. Please help. I'm out of ideas, I even tried to vacum it out. Thanks in advance, Imaheathen

2. BlacksHole

BlacksHole

Mar 22, 2000
    Rockville, MD
    Why the aversion to opening the case? Any methiod you pick to remove the tip could easily dislodge it and have it be floating around loose inside your amp where it could short out any- and everything. I don't know what amp you have, but most of them open up easily enough.

3. Sutton

Sutton

Mar 3, 2005
    Plainwell, MI
    yeah, you gotta open it up....not a big deal. Usually, it wont void your warranty

4. Eric Cioe

Eric Cioe

Jun 4, 2001
    Missoula, MT
    It'd be real easy to do if you opened your amp up. 1/4" jacks are easy enough to work with once the amp is opened.

5. foose4string

foose4string

Feb 4, 2006
    Maryland
    unplug it first.

6. Edwcdc

Edwcdc I call shotgun!

Jul 21, 2003
    Columbia MD USA
    Hopefully the jack is an open type design. I had a tip break off in my Fender acoustic bass and the jack was a closed type. I found a little paper clip that I straightend out and bent the end at a 90 degree angle. I was able to hook the tip and pull it back out. I the case of your amp, I think opening it is the safest bet after you unplug it of course.

7. ghindman

ghindman

Feb 10, 2006
    If you decide to open the case, please be aware that even unplugged, an amplifier can hold dangerous capacitor voltages. Most amps are designed to bleed off through ground when turned off, but some are not. Let the amp sit for a good half an hour after turning it off, before you unplug it. At that point, follow basic safety precautions - wear rubber soled shoes, and keep one hand in your pocket when you're poking around.

8. Edwcdc

Edwcdc I call shotgun!

Jul 21, 2003
    Columbia MD USA
    I have heard of this as well. Just last night I took the case off of my SWR 750 to blow the dust out and I told my son to stay away from it and not to touch anything.

9. CBBass123

CBBass123

Oct 18, 2005
    Texas
    capacitors can hold a charge for a very long time :eek: ...open amp and stay free from the capacitor contacts

10. BlacksHole

BlacksHole

Mar 22, 2000
    Rockville, MD
    Even after the amp has been unplugged, the capacitors can hold a charge for quite a while. A number of years back, I got thrown across the room I was in by making a mistake and touching the capacitor in an unplugged amp.

11. Thor

Thor Moderator Staff Member Gold Supporting Member

At which point you don't want to be doing that. :D

12. ghindman

ghindman

Feb 10, 2006

What do you mean? Unless you know your amp inside and out, or have the equipment to proactively bleed off the caps, you should always keep one hand in your pocket, or behind your back - both hands inside, and you touch something hot, the charge is going up one arm, across your heart, and out the other.

Unless you know for sure, always assume there's a charge.

13. Thor

Thor Moderator Staff Member Gold Supporting Member

Errr ... I don't think you got my point, but I'm not going to elaborate which body part you didn't want blown across the room. :ninja:

14. ghindman

ghindman

Feb 10, 2006
    Ah, yeah, well that's the point of the rubber-soled shoes. ;)