Big problem to amplify for a beginner

Discussion in 'Amps, Mics & Pickups [DB]' started by dupontsolon, Jan 4, 2005.

1. dupontsolon

Jan 4, 2005

I don't know if you can give me information

I'm bass player and double bass player since two years. I've big problem of amplification :bawl: .
    I've piezzo passive : fishman bp 100 and three amp : two marshall bass and one for all sound.

My problem is thath i've a big volume but not a good sound with the ampli for all instruments.
    And with the both marshall, i've a little, little volume. Yet one of the both marshall is very good :) . This is the dynamic bass system 400 watts, picture at :,idproduit,49035.html

Do you think i must change my pick up for an active like the sd systems LCM 100HL (Condenser Contrabass-Mic, incl. mic-preamp Jack out, picture at :

or buy an amp like a gallien krueger or a acoustic image ?
    Thanks a lot :hyper:
  2. fdeck

fdeck Supporting Member Commercial User

Mar 20, 2004
    Madison WI
    HPF Technology LLC
  3. ctxbass

ctxbass Supporting Member

Nov 6, 2003
    Central Texas
    A preamp will help a bit, but I don't think many bassists are satisfied with the Fishman bp 100. You might be better off purchasing a different pickup.

I've been happy with the SD Systems LCM 100HL microphone, but if you need to play at a loud volume, I would not recommend using only a microphone.
  4. dupontsolon

Jan 4, 2005
    thanks a lot
    I'll go to the store to try a preamp and i will tell you about the machine
  5. Even with a preamp, the BP100 is not most people's favourite pickup. Definitely stick with a pickup if you want lots of volume. I would suggest a K&K BassMax or an Underwood. Marshalls are not going to give you good sound for URB. You say you have another amp. Is that a PA system? If so, that will be much better than a Marshall. Otherwise you need an amp more suited to URB. Do some searching of this forum to find what most folks use.
  6. dupontsolon

Jan 4, 2005
    Thanks for yours messages :hyper:

I'm gone this morning in the shop to try a preamp : the Hartke
    VXL Bass Attack (xlr direct out put, harmonic control).

It gives more volume with the fonction sharp, this fonction sharps the medium sound 80 hz to 1khz(with the preamp i have the same volume as with my bass without preamp).
    The preamp has a little equalizer (bass, treble and brite). The sound was correct but not ideal and the problem is thath it gives the rubbing sound of my fingers under the strings :confused: (scratchhhh, scratchhh, scratchhh) but i think this comes from the piezzo fishman bp 100. I don't know the double-bass material, but i read a lot of bad review for this pick up under internet. This is the most sold but it isn't the best.

I see thath a amp marshall isn't a good amp for doublebass, a gallien krueger would be better. Marty, i don't understand what you want to say when you tell : Is that a PA system? (escuse my english).

I don't know what to do, buy a new pick up or the preamp hartke. I have not a lot of money and i just play doublebass with friends and make little concert with my music school. I can buy a pick up like kk bass max or sd system lcm 100 with one preamp lp (pick up active + preamp for 300 euros) or buy the preamp hartke (130 euros) with i can play with my bass and my double bass.
    Is it any one who have a sd system lcm 100 ? what's the sound ? do you think is it normal to have rubbing sound with piezzo, is it different with active pick up ?
  7. ctxbass

ctxbass Supporting Member

Nov 6, 2003
    Central Texas
    It sounds to me like your best bet is the Bassmax. The K&K Powerpack preamp will help you get the most out of this pickup, but it is not necessary. You should be able to get plenty of sound from the Marshall amp this way. The Hartke preamp is designed with bass guitar in mind and probably won't help your sound much.

The LCM 100 is a microphone and will not sound good through your Marshall amplifier. This is where a PA, or "high fi" amplifier/speaker system is truly necessary.

You didn't say what style of music you play, but for loud rock (Marshall is my clue here), a microphone would be a waste of money.