1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Big problem with my 1001RBii. Any help appreciated

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by RyanFeud, Jan 9, 2012.

1. RyanFeud

RyanFeud

Jan 9, 2012
    Hey guys,
    I just recently upgraded from a GK600 Backline and a crappy 410 to a 1001RBii & Neo410 (4ohmcab) combo.

Lately I have noticed the tone has diminished so much that the lows, frankly, sound terrible. I play in Drop C mostly and no matter how much I tweek the EQ (I've tried boosted and flat) it still sounds awful.

Another problem is when I turn the head on, it makes a loud 'POP' even when the tuning mute is engaged. Could this have something to do with it or is this normal? I certainly did not notice this with the GK Backline.

Any help would be appreciated guys! Cheers in advance.

2. Is the Neo 410 a GK NEO? If so, are you using the cable supplied by GK for use with GK heads and GK cabinets running in bi-amp mode? One recommendation - try running the head into a different cabinet and see if it still pops, etc.

3. Vic Winters

Vic Winters Supporting Member

Apr 20, 2006
    Rochester, NY
    Try some DeOxit your send and return jacks. That usually helps when you start to have deterioration of sound on GK amps. My 1001RB pops on startup too.

4. RyanFeud

RyanFeud

Jan 9, 2012
    @Steve - Yes mate its a GK Neo 4x10 4 ohm amp. And I'm using the GK speakon cable that came with it. I havn't tried it with any other cab for fear of blowing it to bits (most of the bands I play with have much smaller rigs) but it sounds great through club/venue pa's etc

@Vic - I'll give that a try man but the gear is less than a year old? Is there any chance it could be the cable itself?

Thanks for the feedback guys. Anyone else have any ideas?

5. bass19021

bass19021

Feb 15, 2011
    I thought that I had read on the old gk forums that there was a service bulletin about that. Might be best to call gk customer service.

6. impactwrench

impactwrench

Feb 22, 2009
    You're putting a huge amount of power into that 4x10. You could have easily run 2 4x10 cabs from that amp.

If you bought the amp new, email brian or jason at GK and see what they recommend.