Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Big problem...

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by the wizard, Feb 22, 2001.

1. the wizard

the wizard

Oct 10, 2000
    Sweden
    Hi there fellow talkbassers!

Something horrible happened at tonights rehersal. I plugged into my all tube Ampeg SVT II, turned up the volume knob as usual and played a few notes. No sound. Instead there was a sharp noise from inside the amp and it began to smell like burning components. I checked the back and saw that someone had taken the cord to the cabinet! Everyone knows that using an amp with no speaker means serious destruction!

The idiots that we share our rehersal space with had a gig yesterday and they probably took the cord without noticing me. They at least have called me or written a note or something! This sucks big time for a poor musician like me.

What could have happened with the amp? Are the output tubes gone? I had brand new tubes installed.

2. Brendan

Brendan

Jun 18, 2000
    Austin, TX
    I am by no means knowlegeable, but this sort of thing happened to me a while back. If the sharp noise was like a short burst of static feedback kinda sound, then chances are you did like me and blew a resistor, and a bunch of parts got a lot more power than their supposed to (hence the burning smell). Unless your a techie, I'd go get it looked at at a local Electronic repair shop.

3. Nino Valenti

Nino Valenti Commercial User

Feb 2, 2001
    Staten Island NYC
    Builder: Valenti Basses
    I feel for you. I have an SVT-2 & if some mush for brains did that to me, he would definitely be charged for the repair!!! Not to mention an a$$ whipping!!!! Definitely bring it to a tech & have him/her look it over & talk to the guy that took the cable out. I hope someone fessed up about it.

4. Brendan

Brendan

Jun 18, 2000
    Austin, TX
    Sounds like I better just weld my Amp cable to my cab when I get it...Sheesh. Note to self, ya know?

5. the wizard

the wizard

Oct 10, 2000
    Sweden
    Yeah, after we calmed down we joked a bit about welding our cables from now on. Think I will...

6. That doesn't sound good.... running a tube amp with no speaker connected will damage the output transformer and the power section. Definately take it to a tech guy, hopefully it's nothing serious.

7. the wizard

the wizard

Oct 10, 2000
    Sweden
    Thanks guys for the answers.

I´ll take it to a tech as soon as possible. If the output transformer is gone:
    Is it a "standard" component or does it have to be ordered from Ampeg? It shure wouldn´t be fun having to play through the PA for eight weeks or so waiting for the transformer to arrive!

8. Hey Wiz, Bad times. I feel for you. How about getting the culprut to pay for a rental while yours is being repaired.

9. timv

timv Supporting Member

Jun 7, 2000
    Chandler, AZ
    If it is the output transformer you would have to get it from ampeg and i'm sure it would be expensive. Does the amp still turn on? If so, it probably isn't the transformer. Hopefully all that went out was the resistors that are there. They are put there to save your expensive stuff, transformer, tubes, If something happens like this. Good luck. What year SVT II is it? I had a 92' for a little while and ordered the schematics and owners manual from ampeg and it came with this service booklet thing that explained some modifications they made to some of the amps like adding a couple diodes, replacing a resistor with a jumper, and putting ferrite beads in. If you're bringing it in and that stuff hasn't been done, maybe you should ask about it. Just useless info. Hope it helps.

10. Munjibunga

Munjibunga Total Hyper-Elite Member Gold Supporting Member

May 6, 2000
    San Diego (when not at Groom Lake)
    Independent Contractor to Bass San Diego
  11. Oysterman

Oysterman

Mar 30, 2000
    Sweden
    Yeah Munji, me too.

If I were you, Wizard, I would whoop his sweet little ass with a baseball bat 'til he bled. AND make him buy a new amp.

12. the wizard

the wizard

Oct 10, 2000
    Sweden
    Thanks for your support, both technical and moral!

I´ll take it to the tech for autopsy on monday.

Right now I´m trying to get hold of as many medevial instruments of torture as possible. The reason is that no one that shares the rehresalspace claims to be the one that took the cord!!!!!! I hope there is some kind of misunderstanding ´cause I can´t belive people would deny such a thing. If I did such an idiot thing myself I would say it and not let some other poor musician pay it all. There goes my summer vacation!

13. timv

timv Supporting Member

Jun 7, 2000
    Chandler, AZ
    Yeah Psycho. I'm wrong. THe output transforemer is basically a short as it is so it would still turn on until a signal was there. A similar thing happened to me once with my mesa/boogie bass 400+. I was playing and the speaker cable came out of the cabinet somehow. While we were playing my bass just cut out and then i saw a nice blue flash from over by my head and the fuse blew. Luckily it was just one power tube that went and a new fuse and I was on my way. Maybe you'll luck out but I know psycho has said before that the power supplies and other parts on the SLM era Ampegs aren't all that stable and you may be pretty screwed. Good luck.