1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Big problem?

Discussion in 'Hardware, Setup & Repair [BG]' started by matt11, Aug 10, 2012.

1. matt11

matt11 Supporting Member

May 19, 2006
    Montreal
    How easy/hard is it to repair a small gap on a jazz bass (manufacturing flaw) between pickguard and control plate? On this second hand Fender Custom Classic jazz bass, there's about a credit card width gap between the plate and pickguard just at the upper inside edge (below the neck pickup)--yes, I know, kind of shocking for such a high end bass. The gap only runs for maybe a quarter of an inch to a half inch along, after which pickguard and plate fit together as they should, but you can see the wiring below the gap if you look closely.... I'm thinking of buying it, but only if I know it can be fixed. Thanks!

2. Remove the screws from the control plate and see if the plate can be moved closer to cover the gap. If it will cover the gap, then you will need to redrill the screw holes and maybe fill the old holes.

3. Stilettoprefer

Stilettoprefer

Nov 26, 2010
    I'd just deal with it. From a couple feet away you won't be able to see it.

The three foot rule is what dictates most of my instruments finish work :D

4. t77mackie

t77mackie

Jun 13, 2012
    Wormtown, MA
    Pickguards on basses are like tracks on an airplane. Remove it - problem solved.

I made a teeny p/g for my Jazz to cover the wires going from the bottom of the neck p/u to the knob plate. I'll upload a pic one of these days...

5. t77mackie

t77mackie

Jun 13, 2012
    Wormtown, MA
    OK, insomnia got the best of me...

bass_pg_01.

6. Jordan S.

Jordan S.

Mar 25, 2012
    NSW, Australia
    Blacksheep Effects Pedals
    Hahaha, LOVE IT!!

7. Southway

Southway So ugly, he made a train take a gravel road

Jul 26, 2009
    Lake of the Ozarks
    .030" gap, 1/2" long? I don't guess I'd be anywhere near that picky! :) (thumbs up on Stiletto's three foot rule!)
    You might be able to do as Rocky suggested, but since the gap isn't constant you may not be able to. Might move it at an angle rather than closer, but you'd probably have to fill the old screw holes, because the new ones would be too close to the old ones. Might also need to file down the pickguard so it better conforms to the plate, then move the control plate closer. Maybe someone's replaced the original PG or control plate and a new one would fit better. Last resort would be make a new guard and you can fit it however you like!

8. couln't you just fill the gap with wood filler or well wood - then when it dried use a fine brush and paint it to match the pick guard- that small of a repair wouldn't really be noticiable from any distance.

9. And This is What I Have done in The past. It usually requires filling old holes as the new ones are too close.
    Not hard at all.

10. No offense intended, but this is the worst remedy. It will look nasty, and it is a lot more work than shifting the control plate a millimeter and a half. It would also require redoing if you ever need to open it up.

11. matt11

matt11 Supporting Member

May 19, 2006
    Montreal
    Thanks folks. Maybe I'll go for it then. Love that teeny pickguard....